Help with Radiator Cap

RCWD21

This is for a 2001 Frontier but that doesn't really matter since the radiator caps are the same spec for d/wd21's.

My issue is this, I just purchased a new cap for the frontier since I was doing a timing belt/ water pump and coolant flush. The cap doesn't hold pressure. I have 3 caps and the only one that holds pressure is one that was causing overheating issues on my subaru impreza same issue as this but a new cap fixed it). All 3 caps feel too short except the one that seals slightly better, like they don't press down on the inner lip of the radiator neck correctly so they're not sealing fully. All 3 caps are .9 bar/ 13psi. All 3 tops can be wiggled like if the cap was just sitting in the hole.

I can squeeze the upper hose and it feels empty but after I do it a couple times and it feels like the cap is finally resisting a bit.

Is there a longer cap I should get or should I just go to the dealer? It's as if the radiator in the frontier (which is a cryo replacement) is different than a stock unit.

2 of the caps are a motorad brand and the other is what I believe to be a stock cal for a subaru.

I know this probably doesn't make sense but I'd figure I'd post anyways seeing as someone here should be able to help.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

The motorad radiator cap is T13R, it's the same style that I used on my Impreza that I sold to get this frontier.

I did more digging today and from reading on probably 15 different forums the cryomax radiators were known to have weird variations and defects in the molds (which come to find out is what's wrong with mine) and subsequently they're no longer in business. I'm just going to order a sunbelt radiator for $55 and enjoy a lifetime warranty and a quality product.

• Like 1