Intelligent Cruise Control Swap?

My 2002 QX4 has the ICC system which is nice but a pain in the butt to diagnose and expensive to repair...and of course it's broken. The dealer claims it's the sensor, but I don't know if they're just saying that because it's the most expensive part. I've been wondering if it would be possible to switch a regular cruise control system in, but I can't seem to find any diagrams that would confirm/disprove this idea. Does anybody know if this is possible? Maybe somebody has upgraded to the ICC? I'm sure it's possible, but I'm hoping it could be done without doing anything other than plugging some different parts in. If it is possible, anybody know what parts I would need to get?

• Like 1

I was thinking maybe I could just remove my sensor and cruise control computer and replace it with one from a regular cruise Pathfinder? Maybe I would have to change out the button cluster on the wheel as well, but I'm willing.

Get the sensor they say you need from the junk yard bro.

Just insist they show you exactly what sensor they're talking about. Then when the tech puts his finger on it snap a pic. Then smile at them and head to the yard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by onespiritbrain

I've been looking at local yards for 6 months and haven't had luck. With the amount of rough use I see in this thing's future I'd rather not have to deal with long periods waiting to find another sensor. Plus I'll be putting a custom winch bumper on it soon which will likely obstruct the sensor's view anyway. But yes, that would be the ideal solution and I've certainly tried.

Oh crud, I wonder if I have this ICC you speak of.. I'm about to put a winch on the front of mine. I'll be keeping the stock bumper and cutting a place out of it for the winch but I hope I don't kill my cruise control.. it's the source of the vg33s only way to get decent gas mileage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1