Any ideas?

HeavyMetal

So, after spending a small fortune putting his pathy back together from a snow wreck, we're chasing some unrelated electrical issues.

We realized after a week of dead battery issues, the darn alternator tensioner assembly was gone. So we replaced all that, a new battery, and still, we were fighting a dead battery. We finally had the alternator tested and it was putting out half of what it needed. However, after replacing the alternator, we have nothing happening at the ignition. When you turn the key on, you have no fan, engine lights and starter. THEN, he tells me the last time he tried jumping it, he had the cables on backwards.

So what could we be looking at here? Fried computer? Ignition? Main relay? Any ideas would be appreciated. There is some electrical coming on, but not what normally would. Fuses all look good.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Check the fusible links that come off the positive lead on the battery, they're there to help protect the system from mishaps just like having jumper cables or the battery hooked up backwards.

As for the computer there's a small orange diode box behind the passenger side kick panel that is there to prevent backwards current from drying the computer, so it should be ok.

Replacement links are available at a junkyard or through nissan depending on which way you want to go.

When you say that some stuff comes on and some stuff doesn't what exactly is the stuff that comes on?

Sent from inside my potato

Check the fusible links that come off the positive lead on the battery, they're there to help protect the system from mishaps just like having jumper cables or the battery hooked up backwards.

As for the computer there's a small orange diode box behind the passenger side kick panel that is there to prevent backwards current from drying the computer, so it should be ok.

Replacement links are available at a junkyard or through nissan depending on which way you want to go.

When you say that some stuff comes on and some stuff doesn't what exactly is the stuff that comes on?

Not much, the clock light on the dash, and I can "hear" priming...like the fuel pump, etc. But there is nothing on that should come on when you turn the key over. No check engine lite...heater/fan controls don't come on and obviously no magical starter click.

Well there are a few different fusible links in a few different spots, some are right at the battery terminal and there's another that's down behind the battery close to the fender wall, and then more in a little box on the fender wall that is between the battery and the relay box.

Also the only way to test fusible links to to use an ohm meter, a fusible link is actually like a slow burn fuse and it's a type of wire that obviously behaves a certain way under certain voltage and loads.

What year is this pathfinder?

Edited by RCWD21

Re-read my above post since I edited it after you replied lol.

I think you'll most likely find a bad link somewhere when you remove them (make sure the battery is unhooked) and test them with an ohm meter, I usually snag every one I come across when I'm in the junkyard just incase something happens and I need one or someone else I know needs one when we're in the woods.

Appreciate the help guys. We're gonna do some wire hunting this weekend. I'll keep you posted. GET IT??!!! POSTED??!!!!

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Edited by HeavyMetal