MY 2001 pathfinder xe

penguinroy98

Hello, My name is Cory, I am new to the npora. I own a 2001 pathfinder xe and i get to enjoy driving my pathfinder off road and since i live in buffalo ny i also get to drive it in the snow with the 4x4 6 months out of the year! I bought my xe 3 years a go for a 3k and my expectations were 1... 2 years if im lucky and then upgrade to a new suv... 3 years later and my xe is still running like a beast, just normal wear and tear for 150,000 miles! Now im total in love with this suv. I wanna start modifying it and restoring/ upgrading it so it can last another 150,000 miles! Right now my biggest problem is my pathfinder is starting to rust under my fender flairs. How would you guys fix/ repair the rust, sandblast and repaint or grind and repaint? please give me your feedback and ill get photos of my baby up asap! Thank Cory!

You don't sandblast auto body panels... It generates too much heat and they warp. You can soda blast or walnut shell them. Also Chem strip.

You could grind it out but that would be hideous unless your good at body work.

I usually peck around with a hammer and wire wheel my rust to find the end then cut it out and weld in a patch in the spot weld all the way around and pat it with a wet rag fashion, grind it, Tin it, lead it in, deactivate the tin, then seal it and glaze it with glass or a paper thin layer of filler. It's just whatever you feel comfortable with. Lead bodywork takes practice... Then more practice, but once you fixed a spot you won't ever have to practice there again.

Welcome btw!! I too own a 2001 Pathy. Mine has a tad of rust where it was in a fender bender... I'm probably going to cheat and take it to a friend because work has been crazy lately.

Good luck. Hope you enjoy the forum.

Edited by LittleFR