R50 Collision, lost coolant and it got hot. Help

PrecisionX

I was in a fender bender that pushed my bumper in a solid inch and a half, what didn't seem to be a big deal turned into an unnoticed loss of coolant until I was driving and pressed the gas only for it to not go past 2500 or 3000 RPMs I think, unsure of what was going on I tried to accelerate a couple more times only to notice the temp gauge on H. I panicked pulled over into a parking lot as soon as I could put it in park and shut it down. I popped the hood and there wasn't any smoke or steam with coolant spilling out of the bottom of the truck. No doubt this was from the accident, no check engine lights popped and it hasn't been started since, just towed until the insurance appraiser can come out and assess the damage. What should I do?

Not much you can do until you find the leak and fix it. Then your going to have to refill and drive it to see if you have a blown head gasket.

The adjuster is coming in the next couple of days. It wasn't driven very far or long at that temp. No check engine lights popped, I'm hoping I'm safe but the collision center is going to need to check it out to make sure, not sure how they do that or if they even test for it?

They can do a pressure test on the radiator cap or run it and do an air bubble check. Either way the leak has to be fixed for them to work.

I would say the overheating probably put you into some kind of limp mode and that was the revving issue.

It is probably not engine damage but overheating can do a lot of damage. I don't remember where the H is on my temp gauge I will look in morning.

They can do a pressure test on the radiator cap or run it and do an air bubble check. Either way the leak has to be fixed for them to work.

I would say the overheating probably put you into some kind of limp mode and that was the revving issue.

It is probably not engine damage but overheating can do a lot of damage. I don't remember where the H is on my temp gauge I will look in morning.

The H is the top of the gauge. I was at a light on a hill and I turned green, when I went to go it didn't let me accelerate just like I would explain is a limp mode. Confused I tried to accelerate a couple more times and I looked at the gauge to see it on hot. I looked for the nearest place to pull over safe and a minute or so later I was parked, shut her off. No check engine light was on. The truck is getting towed to a shop for collision repair once the adjuster gives me an estimate and they will tear it down and see if they recommend it be repaired. I love this thing I just want it fixed and I'm praying it was not seriously damaged due to the accident causing the coolant loss.