Transmission Shift Point Question

LittleFR

I have a 2001 3.5 Auto. I searched but it's all on flares and slipping. I have none of that.

I did a flush and fill about a week ago so I've been extra alert.

I noticed this morning heading to work it didn't shift into OD. Dismissing this as the Cold engine = no OD I didn't worry about it. I had only gone 1.25 miles. It was fine further into my drive.

This afternoon I started it about 10 minutes before I left work, got gas and left everything running so it was good and hot. Drove normal to home with some heavy acceleration and had no issues.

I drove past my house to a straight stretch and hammered down. At WOT I had nice crisp shifts to 80mph but wasn't in OD. I had to let off to get it to shift then level out the throttle for TC lockup.

Is that normal? I'm not familiar with these transmissions. I ran out of road I don't know if it ever would have shifted. It was nearly 5k RPMs.

Does anyone have an auto with a base comparison.

I'm not surprised.

Can't say that I've pushed it to 5K in 3rd gear, but with the pedal all the way down you won't shift in to overdrive until it's about out of revs.

They are also pretty conservative about torque converter lockup. You won't see lockup until you are cruising with very light load. A stiff headwind on the interstate is enough to keep my TC from locking up.

Make sure you don't mistake the torque converter lockup with shifting to OD, it seems like a shift.

I had similar problems but also flaring. Ended up being my mass airflow sensor. Changed it out and solved these problems, as well as a few others. I used the Maxima unit from Courtesy Nissan listed in the pinned topics.

I can feel the TC lock up when it does and when it doesn't. This trans feels so pathetically squishy to me. My F100 has a full manual valve body and my Monte Carlo barks tires in every shift. My wife has a 6spd auto so in hill country you can't get a comparison.

Hmm I may change the MAF unit then.

I did talk to my step dad he has a 350z and said his would crack 6500rpm if you had the stones before his shifted... Inspired by that I went out to a closed course (or something like it) and WOT'd to 90 mph and it shifted into 4th smoothly.

Still I'm not overly pleased with it revving 'that' high.

Also I noticed with TC lockup if you are puttering along and WOT to pass it sounds like it free revs almost like a slip? Or is TC just catching up. Then it's like a downshift. Which is what I'd expect. Just trying to get a feel for how my R50 is supposed to be acting so I can either fix it or live with strange factory settings.

I do thank you guys for your input.