Only 2 of 4 speakers work

Zatchy

Hey guys,

So the guy who owned the car before I did installed a sub in the back and an aftermarket stereo. He also, as I came to find out, snipped the wiring to three of the 4 door speakers. I reattached them all with new wiring and they worked for about an hour, then the front two became intermittent... Sometimes they work, other times they don't. It's not a balance or fader issue, and I know the wiring is still good, it hasn't come undone or detached... What could it be? Any thoughts?

Zack

I should also say, I'm curious about this as a mechanical, overload, or whatever issue as opposed to a wiring issue because even the 4th speaker he didn't touch (and I didn't touch) that worked fine is now one of the two giving me issues.

Bose or non Bose? Mine has Bose did the same thing. I bypassed the amp and messed with the running till the sound was even. I plan to fix it right but it has worked well for right now till I feel like really dealing with replacing them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Is there an amp for the speakers or is it just the head unit driving them? check all the connections at the back of your head unit? double and triple check all your connections, even the ones that you created adding new wire and the connections at the speakers. ANY shorting will mess things up. Make 100% sure that you don't have any wiring grounded. This can be a painful process.

I'm not sure if your '97 would have this but in my '03 with a Bose there is an "audio amplifier relay" which seems to often fail. In searches I read of many others with the same problem. This relay is for the front speakers only. It basically suppies power to the front amps when the key is turned on. When it fails you will only have rear speakers. A new one costs about $20. It took me over a year of having just the rears before I finely figured out how to fix this problem. It was SO nice to get the fronts working again. Plugging in a new relay is alot easier and cheaper than new speakers and stereo.

Edited by kdj