I'm trying to pick between a locker swap and an LSD 3rd member.

RCWD21

LSD or mechanical locker?  

2 members have voted

1. 1. Which would you go with and why? (Explain below)

• Factory LSD
    • Mechanical Locker

Since I have both an open and LSD 3rd member in my 87 and 90 pathfinder I'm trying to decide which I'd be better off going with.

The 87 is currently open

The 90 is currently LSD

I don't go mudding per say but I do go through a lot of softer stuff including mud and water and very thick forest areas.

I'm usually on very tight and twisty trails that can average from hard packed dirt to 2 or 3 feet deep water that is at times 60 feet long. I've read that a locker is night and day from an open differential but would having basically a solid rear end cause sliding issues into trees and holes more prone than the LSD?

It's down to $350 for the locker or basically free for the LSD rear end.

By the way this will be what I will be running under my 87 as I will be selling my 90 to my friend so he can go off roading with me.

I've been wheeling my rig with a Lock-right for almost 10 years now. It has never caused me to slide into a tree. It does try to push you forward under acceleration. In deep snow it can be tricky, but manageable. Clicks/ratchets when you go around corners but can bind and "pop" once in a while. I've seen many limited slips not keep traction. I love my locker and recommend it to many!

Do you have any tips or tricks when it comes to getting used to it? And I was thinking about it more earlier and where I go most of the time is where theres a lot of holes where the locker would get me out.

Last time I got stuck was 7 miles back in the woods and luckily I knew someone that could reach me.

Have you noticed anything about accelerated tire wear?

I'm on my second set of tires since I lifted it. Steering component issues caused more wear. I don't worry about the locker doing that. Driving around on dry pavement will get you used to how it operates and not be phased by a pop or clunk. You will find the advantage off-road almost immediately. You are welcome to watch some of my vids on YouTube. Just follow the link I'm my signature below. My first vid "wheelin big homie" showers me go up a trail, then a jeep follows me. It's a great example of the locker working.

Edited by 5523Pathfinder

I watched that one in one of your older threads or maybe one you had replied to I'm not sure, I can see the difference for sure. And since you haven't noticed a lot of tire wear more than normal I think I'm going to scour for a locker once I finish getting it running and driving again.