Low rumble noise after manifold leak fix

Guest DigitalMan

Guest DigitalMan

I'm getting my 93 Pathfinder XE 4x4 ready to sell, so I decided to finally get the exhause manifold leak (that most of us seem to have) fixed. I got the vehicle back and now I am hearing a new noise, and I haven't a clue what it might be. I could use your help identifying what it might be so I can have my mechanic fix it. I suspect that they caused it, since the noise appeared when I got the Pathfinder back from them. What could they have done wrong?

The noise low pitched (about the frequency of those cars with big subwoofers at intersections), and appears to be coming from the engine compartment. It only starts happening when I reach 25mph or above. At 40mph it is very noticable. It is low pitched, and sounds kind of like the wind is blowing through something, or possibly I have something loose that starts vibrating at that speed. The interesting part is that if I hit 40mph, and then turn the ignition off and put it in neutral and coast, the noise is still present. So that tells me it's probably not the engine or exhaust.

I looked underneath and in the engine and couldn't see anything that looked visably out of place, but I'm not very mechanically inclined so I don't know what to look for. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm going to bring it back to the mechanic soon, but wanted to get some ideas what it might be in case they can't figure it out.

Thanks,

Guy

Guest ksakella

Hmmm....Thought about it and came up with a couple shots in the dark. I would check the wheels first. Maybe something wasn't fastened correctly underneath. Bad bearings?...they seem to make some sound, i believe they get louder with speed and when turning. Don't know if it's a four-wheel drive...maybe it's engaged? Warped rotors or caliper problem?

Don't know if this helps at all, but somethings to consider. Good luck! Let us know what you find!