School me

sim117

I am currently about to pull the trigger on a pathy and get rid of my love/hate relationship with my M5, I need some input and would greatly appreciate any insight. There are multiple 2000 models in my area (160-200K miles) for less than $3000 in tip top shape. All the 2001-2003 models with similar mileage are around $4,500 (all mechanically sound but in need of some cosmetic TLC). Is the VQ worth the extra money over the VG? I drove the VQ and really loved it, but then again, maybe I just loved the R50 in general. If I chose to lift the vehicle and add a rack, bigger tires, and brush guard, would the VG struggle? I'm not a hard core off-roader but I do like going on trails. This would also be my DD. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Both are good motors, with the VQ having about 25% more power, a timing chain VS T-belt, and some plug coil pack issues. I find the VG is adequate for the stock vehicle, but if you lift it and put on larger tires than the 30" stock, I think the extra power of the VQ would be desirable, especially if you live in hilly country.

That said, the VG will get slightly better mileage and can be beefed up a little with CAI, VG30 stock/euro/stage 1 cams and cat back type exhaust package (Borla to mention 1)...

The chassis is virtually identical, only the cosmetics are different, and unless you are a leadfoot, I suspect either would be adequate (especially if you mod the VG33). I'd focus on a clean, no rust, low mileage vehicle with a good price and snap it up, regardless of motor. You aren't going to win races with either, so focus on everything else first...

(we have a 1999.0 R50 SE that is loaded, comfortable, and runs flawlessly at 180k miles)

B

As a current owner of both I'd spend a little extra for the vq35. My 01 (bought it new) hit 150k miles last weekend, never any major issues, just routine maintenance, O2 sensors, a camshaft position sensor and a few evap related fixes. My 96 (I'm the 3rd owner) was well cared for mechanically, has about 178k on it, but really beginning to nickel and dime me to death (I'm currently searching for a clean 01/02 to replace it). Not to mention that the power difference feels drastic when I drive both on the same day. Another plus to going with the vq35, since you plan a lift and bigger tires, it's really easy to swap out the front diff and rear ham for better gearing from the vg33 generation R50. And the additional minor creature comforts available on the 01-04's over the 96-00's. All food for thought.

Well I settled on an '01 with 140K miles for $4K. It's mechanically sound but needs a few cosmetic updates. Beyond that are there any mods I should consider doing soon for the vehicle? Thanks!

Sounds like you made a good choice. The 2 biggest improvements I've made on my 01 are upgrading to medium duty springs with KYB struts/shocks which have drastically improved the ride/handling/carrying capability and also gave me 1/2" to 3/4" lift. I used the springs from AC (4x4parts.com) but I've also heard the same feedback about the OME (Old Man Emu) springs. The second best upgrade was going to slightly larger, competent all terrain tires, I'm currently running 255/70/16 General Grabber AT2's. This combo has turned this pathfinder into a very capable, well rounded daily driver (wife's dd). It's comfortable, capable and still gets pretty good gas mileage, averages about 15 with a mix of highway and local driving, on premium gas (drops to about 13ish on regular). I went the more "off road" direction with my 96; 2" lift, 31" mud terrains, skidplates, etc; as this is my daily/woods/sidework vehicle. The ride is loud, less comfortable and gets worse mileage, but I have a much shorter commute than my wife.

So to sum it all up, it really depends on what you want/need out of your pathfinder, but from your first post, it sounds like a similar setup to my 01 would be a good fit.

Oh, and of course unless you are positive it has all been done recently, go through it and change all your fluids and filters (engine, coolant, transmission, transfer case, front/rear diffs and fuel filter.