2001 Pathfinder SE Manual Diff,Transfer,Transmission Fluid

pathfinder1990

Hey, First post and first pathfinder here. Picked up at 2001 pathfinder se with 244km for 1500 a few weeks back. real nice shape just getting used to her now.

Would like to change the rear diff, front diff, transfer case, and transmission fluid as it looks as if it has not been done in 100,000km from the records that came with the truck.

I have access to unlimited 75/90 semi synthetic gear oil, and was hoping to be able to use this in all, if not most of these drive train fluid changes.

I called every dealer in town and really never got a straight answer along with a mix of what fluids to use. One saying my 75/90 semi synthetic would be ok for all applications. Others of course recommend Nissan fluids.

I am not opposed to buying different weight fluids if needed, just the ease and access of the 75/90 semi synthetic is appealing. I did hear from one dealer the transfer case runs Dex 3 ATF.

Any stories of your fluid change? what did you use? I keep hearing that in 2001 full synthetic gear oil did not yet exist and therefore shouldn't be an issue. also about brass syncros being eaten by the wrong fluids.

Thanks so much everyone!

Diffs call for 80w-90, don't see why 75w-90 wouldn't work, been running full synthetic since about 15 miles in my 01 (just turned 150k yesterday). T-case is dex equivalent ATF, auto trans is also ATF (needs to meet Nissan Matic-D specs), both of these I've also been running synthetic for the same amount of time.

Diffs call for 80w-90, don't see why 75w-90 wouldn't work, been running full synthetic since about 15 miles in my 01 (just turned 150k yesterday). T-case is dex equivalent ATF, auto trans is also ATF (needs to meet Nissan Matic-D specs), both of these I've also been running synthetic for the same amount of time.

So semi syn isn't a big deal as long as i can do regular changes? What is a Nissan D equivalent ATF? Will any good full syn ATF work, Iam surprised it isn't gear oil. What did you use for the transmission itself? and could semi syn be used in the transmission, is the only difference longevity if not off roading/towing. If the transmission is better of fully syn I would use it however.

Do you have an owner's manual? All the info is in there.

Is it a manual transmission? Usually you want to run a gear oil, but some gearboxes do use ATF as well.

If it has brass syncros, you need to use a GL4 rated gear oil. The parts store guys will say that the GL5 will work, they are wrong. Pennzoil makes a synchromesh fluid, Royal Purple 75w90 is yellow metal safe, and Amsoil makes a synchromesh oil.

The manual actually calls for..

Manual transmison: gl4 SAE 75w-85

Lsd diff- only lsd gear oil gl5 80w90

Transfer case- Nissan matic c or gl4

Not sure if I have Lsd diffs or if semi synthetic is okay. This has become more difficult than it should be haha

Do you have a orange tag on your rear diff?

Or if you jack the back end up in the air and try to turn the wheels they don't turn in gear, and in neutral they turn the same way, you have a LSD.

Put gl5 limited slip in it. Doesn't matter if it's not a LSD, won't hurt anything.

Semi synthetic, synthetic, conventional, doesn't matter.

The Gl4 has to be GL4. Not GL5/GL4, gl4.

I think only Napa has it in stock.

Ok so I would use.

In My Diffs: 75-90 semi synthetic (with additive added)

I have only seen the small bottles of additive and it didn't have a ratio mix on it. Is there a rule of thumb.

Or Gl5 LSD 80w/90 (GL5 is okay for diffs?) can't find how many liters.

Transmission: TRUE GL4 Full Synthetic 75-85 ***5.1 Liters***ouch.

Transfer Case: Full synthetic ATF (any Nissan equivalents?) or if gear oil drains out, 75w/90 SEMI(maybe full 75w/85) synthetic gear oil *2.2 Liters*

thanks