2000 SE suspension/lift advice

rc_cola_j

Hi all. I bought a 2000 SE pathfinder not too long ago. Love this vehicle.

I decided to replace the OE shocks/struts with Rancho RS5000 and the springs with Old Man Emu medium duty. They just arrived to my door on Friday.

After seeing a lot of the posts on this forum I am seriously considering doing two more changed at the same time. Adding spacers in with the new springs to gain another few inches of lift and also wheel spacers to allow for more track width.

I am new this and wanted to get any advice and feedback from other pathfinder owners.....so i can weigh the job ahead of me and decide how high and how wide I should go. I was told that the OME springs will give me 0.5-1 inch of lift already. What if any are the challenges I may face?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi RC,

To get to the point front CV angle is going to be your enemy. 2in is about the max that you can go without causing CVs to fail at full droop. (strut extension). brake line length again at full extension is a factor. wheel spacers are a less expensive solution than wheels with a different off set to run bigger tires without having any rub at full turning lock. just make sure you use your torque wrench. I've got the same model and year. check out my build thread some inspiration.

• Like 1

Hey Bushnut. I really like the look of your ride! Especially with the elimination of the 'rake'

Just to clarify, that's 2" total? According to the research I've done the OME springs will give me 1/2".....so the most I should do on top of that is another 1.5"? Or would there be too much risk of damage with the combined 2". The last thing I need or want is to have to replace the CVs due to not planning this out properly.

Bigger tires are down the road for me.....for now I plan on running the current stock (255/65-16).....with 1.25" spacers do you think I will have any rubbing issues, especially on the fenders?

Sorry if my questions are dumb.....I will admit I am a complete newb.

2" is the max total of "safe" suspension lift in the front (some will argue 2.5"). What I have personally found is if you go with 2" front springs than adding another half inch or so via spacer will work, with oem height springs 2" spacers max out cv's at full droop, with .5" springs 1.5" spacers seems to be the max. If you purchased MD springs for front and rear, I'd go with 1.5" spacers in the front and 1" in the rear to level it out (without a load in back). Since I'm ok with a half inch rake, I'll be doing 1.5" on top of my md's all around (mainly because I have some sort of load more often than not).

As for rubbing, especially with the stock size tires you won't rub. Although I do have them myself, I'm not a big fan of spacers, the smaller the better (I run 1" with my stock wheels and 31's on my 96), once you move up to bigger tires you may have to get out the heat gun and do a little reshaping on the corners of the inner fender liners.

Edited by 01Pathmaker
  • Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

The problem is at full droop......if I go more than 2" (1.5"+0.5" with springs), are limiting straps a good and viable option to protect the CVs? Pros/cons?

Edited by rc_cola_j

• 1 month later...

Well, had the suspension done. OME medium duty in the rear, OME heavy duty on the front with Rancho shocks and struts.

So happy with the lift gained and the ride quality!

Didn't have the money for spacers, but will probably go that route in the spring.

c62f8d853bc12847ae45593d40b73b67.jpg

1f4b3e72388a3cfd574f3eb57f67e7fc.jpg

• Like 1

Looks great! Like the end result? How do your Rancho compare to the stock?

Mine is similar - OME HD/Kyb front, OMD MD/OME rear. I did add Fleurys 1.5 front and rear for just about the max without SFD. -4 offset 16x8 wheels, not a fan of wheel spacers.

It's like night and day to be honest....however Both my from struts and rear shocks were dead when I bought the pathy......don't have much to compare it to in terms of stock. I was planning on getting Fleury's spacers for the rear to improve the rake.......I'm hesitant to do the front for fear of wearing the CV's. When I have $$ I will look into the best approach in more detail.

Somehow managed to swindle a 21" cree curved led light bar from a friend this morning.....brand new in box for $70!!! Question is, where to mount it?