Wd21 95 vss removal help?

Soninihon

Found the vss. Now the problem is its stuck. Took out the 10m bolt and not budging. Use hammer and schichel and noting. Also broke the 10m bolt side off from the vss. So I'm gonna have to get a new one now.

Any ways you guys deal with the vss?

its got a little rubber O ring on it that kinda helps it "seat" inside the transfer case, just tap against it to rotate it up in a counter clockwise fashion, then you should be able to pry it out. When I did mine, I had a way harder time just getting that stupid harness clip to dis-engage to un plug it!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

not sure if you have replaced this but I just purchased a VSS with the gear on it from my local dealer for $35. I know some people bought them with out the gear and had problems figuring it out.. the Tennessee warehouse has 5 VSS left with gear!.

• 4 weeks later...

You should probably hold on to that replacement because what's happening is the bearing the gear rides on is failing. Bearings don't go out all at once, they sorta degrade over time as they wear, currently it just happens to be 'cockeyed' in the good position, but it will continue to get worse and eventually you'll be stuck (if you have an automatic) in first gear like what happened to me.

When you do take it out, have a drip pan there with you because you're going to have some gear oil / transmission fluid come out, probably about 8 ounces. Anyway, once you get the old speed sensor out, and you spin the gear with your fingers, you will easily be able to feel the rough spots in the bearing where it hitches as it rotates. The one I replaced would spin like half a turn and then stop and catch really firmly where I had to apply a few pounds of torque to get it to spin again.

Did your replacement come with a gear on it or did you get just the shaft only? I had to reuse the gear that mine had but when I started trying to remove the little keeper spring that goes on top I bent it up so badly that it wasn't reusable but it turns out it's not even necessary because once you bolt it back in, that pinion gear doesn't have any room to advance forward and slip off inside the transfer case as it's spinning, engaged in the gear.