Lifter tap

J77

I have an 88' pathfinder, I parked it wit no noise and and when I started it up next morning ,there was a tapping noise! Any suggestions please!!

If oil is low it takes it awhile to get to the upper end. Check oil level and like Bushnut said, when in doubt change it! Don't forget manual tranny and automatics take a different amount of oil.

Changed oil immediately after I noticed sound, had 5\30 in it but bumped it up to 10\40 and sound is still there

Pasting the following here from a Pinned post made by 88pathoffroad: http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/topic/19042-pathfinder-common-problemsfixes-read-this-first/

Exhaust Manifold Stud Breakage and Associated "Ticking" Noise

WD21 Pathfinders with the VG30i and VG30E engines were built with weak exhaust manifold studs that are prone to breaking because the exhaust manifolds tend to expand unevenly when warming up and cooling down. This causes the infamous "ticking" noise often heard from the front of Pathfinders which quiets down after the manifolds have heated up sufficiently. This applies to all Pathfinders from 1987 through 1995.

Installing revised manifold studs are the best solution to this problem. Extracting broken studs from your V6 heads is a BIG pain in the ass. One person recommends striking the ends of broken off studs several times with an impact tool or hammer to loosen the studs a bit before trying to remove them with either a stud extractor or vice grips. Soaking the studs and nuts overnight (at least) in PB Blaster or WD-40 is a must. If you choose to drill a broken stud to remove it, be very VERY careful, because the water jacket of the engine comes very close to the exhaust stud holes. It's entirely possible to drill a hole accidentally into your water jacket, which would be a Bad Thing To Do.

The revised manifold stud Nissan part number is: 14065-V5004 Revised Exhaust Manifold Stud. The cost on those is around $2 per stud. They're essentially 300ZX twin turbo studs, and they're made of a different type of steel with a more similar coefficient of expansion that doesn't tend to break like the standard ones.

Hope this helps... :)

Regards,

DJ

• Like 1