New with motor questions

Hey guys, im a bit new here so have patience with me. Last night i locked my motor up, im guessing from a bent rod, and have decided to go with a J/Y motor. A local yard has a vg30e out of a 95 pathfinder and since i havent mastered searching the forum, im going to ask it outright: can i swap my vg30i intake onto the vg30e and drop it in? I dont see why not but i want to be sure. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Hi 88scratchfinder,

From everything i have read about the vg series motors, You can missmatch alot of components such as heads, cams, most externals as long as you stay with in a couple of years from each other. I have vg33 swap that im looking in to doing myself on my 88 pathy but want to change out ecu to get away from tbi. It will help increace the mpgs by 4-5miles. If memory serves me wright I think the heads didn't chang till the vg33 came out and it was only changed a little bit. look up motoiq.com, he has a very good build sheet and tells what years and changes where made to the heads.

Hope this helps. Ryan

Edited by ryan88pathy

When i replaced a head, im pretty sure i pulled the replacement off of a 95. So in that case, i think youre correct about them staying the same. I just want to be sure the motor will bolt up and not be all out of wack. The other thing im curious about is if all the pulleys and accesories on the front of the motor are in the same place or if its all different. I dont know if it went serpentine or if they just moved stuff around.

Thanks

Hey Bud, the VG30E will bolt up just fine, nothing out of whack. The pulleys remain the same as well, no serpentine system.

IIRC there are a few very small items that aren't the same, but I haven't done the swap myself and can't recall what I have read ATM.

Basically, it is a non issue. If you can swap the motor, any incidentals are a technicality, not a problem. ;)

B

I haven't done it, but yeah, everyone whines about it... :D

There is a trick of reversing a few bolts when it is apart to make it far easier for the next time. Might want to search around for the info on that... ;)

B

I was looking yesterday at the dif and how its bolted in, it looks pretty straight forward, which means im probably missing something lol. But for where the dif bolts to crossmember, those three bolts are just round. Do i have to drill or am i missing something?

Thanks

Hah! No problem. Here, go and download a FSM. http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/Pathfinder/

1994 is the first year available, but most of the nuts and bolts are the same. Having some expanded views should help as well.

IIRC it was the bolts holding the front cross member that are far easier to deal with if reversed? Again, I haven't done it myself...

B