top of radiator blown apart

leighMcg

Hi all I just was wonder if any one else has had the top of there radiator just blow up and what would cause it could it just be a blocked radiator or was it the thermostat or just the cap didn't release the pressure into the over flow and also can I get some advice on changing the radiator any tip will be great cheers

Do you mean that the top plastic piece broke apart or came off at the seam? Yeah it happens...

Unless you have some really nasty coolant or see a lot of scale in the radiator, I doubt it is blocked. The thermostat has a bypass hose (I believe), so that shouldn't be it and caps tend to grow weaker and not hold as much pressure, not the other way around.

When was the last time the thermostat was changed, and I recommend just starting with a visual inspection and cap test.

What motor is in a 2004 TI, just so we make sure everyone is talking about the same thing.

B

Ok, all I said applies then. :D

To remove the radiator, drain it via petcock on the bottom, then remove the bottom hose on the radiator end, catching all the coolant in a basin. Unbolt the radiator shroud (4 10mm screws IIRC) and just push it back towards the motor. Remove the top radiator hose at the radiator and be prepared to tie that end up towards the hood somewhat to prevent more leakage, remove the two top radiator bolts and lift it out. I'm sure you can figure out the install, and download a copy of the 1999 FSM from the pinned thread in the Garage section. The motor info should be the same and it will tell you how to burp the cooling system when you are refilling it. ;)

B

Just out of curiosity, when was the last time the timing belt was changed (every 170,000km is the recommended interval)? I ask because most people remove the radiator to do that job...