Exhaust manifolds...

RowOSU

Ok heres what's going on. Turn the Pathy on and start driving and I have a rapid ticking that increases with RPMs. So after looking around on here I deduced "alas! exhaust manifold" and I am under 100K (88K) so I went to the dealer and had them check it out. They told me there was no leaking and they tightened all the studs down. OK. Now what? could this be an exhaust leak further down the exhaust system? I also saw mentioned in another post something about noisy lifters, but nobody every followed up on that. So any ideas?

Take the exhaust manifold shield off on the right side. Look for a crack. Seems like the right side is the one to crack. Mine was cracked, but I had 103,000 before I thought about checking for a tech note at the dealer. If it's cracked, show the service writer.

ok, I will check that out, I think i just got a dealer who didnt want to deal with it and was hoping i would just let it slide. Good thing I only drive my truck on weekends.. keep those miles down.

The exhaust manifold warranty extension isn't just mileage of 100k, its also 100 months. For a 97 your warranty extension is about up.

When I had mine checked the dealer refused the warranty coverage, said it didn't apply to my 97. I went through the Nissan 800 number and confirmed that it was covered and had them work with the dealership. I'd call them and let them know your situation, let them get the dealer in line.

Key difference in my situation was that I had the dealer check it out before I mentioned the warranty, then they were happy to point out the problem and give me a quote for $500.00. Once I mentioned the warranty they backpedaled and said it didn't apply.

By the way the TSB covers the following VIN range:

APPLIES TO VEHICLES THROUGH SERIAL NUMBER JN8AR05***W236759

Yea I checked out the 100 month thing, I am up in april(according to vehicles date of sale)... So I will have them check it out when I get some free time here in the next couple days. Thanks!