New Tires?

crezman

Hello, I know this question isn't specific to Pathy's but I've had such good luck here getting solid car information, I'm hoping someone can fill me in.

I've got a laundry list of things I need to do to my 1999.5 SE, tires being one of them.

How long do you think I can let these tires go before I replace them? I know they are cracked but not worn to the nib. I'd like to do some "tune-up" like things to the engine first, especially to help with MPGs, such as air filter, and what not; everything people told me about in my last question.

Do you think I can put off the tires till after I get some engine work done or should I do the tires first?

Also, I did buy two new tires for two that really were too far gone. They are an inch larger than the others. I read on here that I don't have to have both front and back sets of tires the same height. Is this true?

Thanks!

Chris

20140912_113010_zpsaba39345.jpg

You should run the same size tire as the geometry could change, might be a little or alot but it changes. They look good for a bit of travel, ive seen far worse. But for you being in the PNW, like me, it gets squirrely with flat tires. Plan on changing them soon with the winter coming up quick.

• Like 1

Unless you're rocking one o' them fancy dancy cars that requires different sized tires front to rear, use the same size all around.

As for making those last, I don't see why you couldn't, barring snow. I assume you get similar ****** snow to Vancouver so I'd keep that in mind when you're planning your priorities ;)

• Like 1

You basically change your gearing by running different size tires so different front to rear would only make a difference in 4WD except for the fact it will look kinda ridiculous..... What is wrong with those Yoko's? Looks like they got lots of wear left for an all season highway tire.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone. This set is questionable, but the other two are just outright bald, bald, bald and needed to be replaced. The set in the pictures look a little more worn in real life than they do in the photo. You can see noticeable cracks, although the tread is fairly good. It looks like an old, dried up rubber band. I don't feel great about them. But the front two had to go. They were bad. I didn't feel good about them or safe.

From what you guys have said, there are a few things I can do. I'd like to get the extra inch lift, so I might just wait till next month and have them all put on at once, which is basically two weeks away. Thank you all. The help has really been so great. I haven't owned a car in a long time. I had a 76 Bug many years ago, and I've never had a truck or a 4x4. I'm really glad I do now, I've always wanted one.