4wd light on

patqx4

My 4wd light came on last winter, out of the blue right when I needed it most. Here's a breakdown of whats going on:

-when I start the truck the selected green wheels in the cluster flash continuously in 2wd, auto, and 4hi.

- after moving the truck about 20 feet, all the wheel indicators in the cluster go dark and 4wd light comes on.

- locking/unlocking the hubs have no effect on this.

-4lo is working, I used it to crawl out of my driveway after major snowfalls last winter, but auto and 4hi aren't working.

- tire pressure is even in all tires and all tires match.

I did the troubleshooting diagnostic via TF-28 of the fsm, turned up:

10 Neutral-4LO switch circuit is shorted or open. Neutral-4LO switch circuit, TF-76.

18 ATP switch, wait detection switch or neutral-4LO switch circuit is
shorted or open. ATP switch, wait detection switch or
neutral-4LO switch circuit*, TF-76.

Looks light Neutral-4LO switch. This is where it turns to gibberish to me, since I know nothing about electronics or troubleshooting them. I'm more of a wrench and hammer guy, a bit neanderthal. Has anyone dealt with this in the past? or can point me to the likely faulty component? Otherwise I'll be forced to the dealer to hand over a months wages most likely. :(

Awhile back my mother-in-law had this same issue on her '01 LE, I think is had a bad speed sensor, but I'm not sure. She had it repaired at the dealer and I'm sure she still has the paperwork, I'll check it out and get back to you.