Exhaust Sound

ebayfish

I've got a few holes in my factory exhaust. Is there any way to make the 3.0 sound decent or will it always sound like an angry bumblebee? Is there much power to gain by opening up the exhaust(plus intake of course)?

The factory exhaust manifolds flow horribly, headers helped my pathy quite a bit. It's got a noticeable power gain, better exhaust note, even though the rest of the exhaust system hasn't changed.

Anything that you can do to make the VG or any engine for that matter breath better, you'll notice the difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would also agree that the headers made a noticable difference in both power gain and sound for me. I went to a 2-1/4" exhaust all the way back when I did the upgrade and think that is probably a good sweet spot when you open up over the stock manifolds. Just make sure if you do it that you get the 300ZX manifold bolts as the stock ones are prone to premature failure. There's a bunch of info here on the forums about this, sorry I don't have a part number. You also might consider an oil filter relocation kit along with this, but the default location doesn't throw that much trouble my way with the headers installed...just maybe a bit more inconvenient and usually good to usea burn sleeve when it's really wrenched on there.

I'm actually in the process of doing my second cat back on my 260K mile pathy and have opted for a less-agressive muffler this time...100K miles+ on the agressive sound has me seeking something quieter! (Or maybe I'm just getting old, who knows...)

Yep, headers and something like a Gibson or Flowmaster muffler, but I'd tend towards the more tame one. Old and slow is one thing, but old, slow and obnoxiously loud is another... ;)

B

• Like 1