01 R50 lightly modded, for now. DIY build

I have a 2001 se automatic, 140k miles. Just recently started upgrading for my random weekend adventures with the wife. I Baught the pathfinder in 2012 with 110000k miles on it. Since buying it I've replaced both balljoints with moog replacements, done all obvious maintenance such as all oils drained and flushed etc. I've replaced all the coil packs, wich made a huge difference, replaced the MAF sensor as mine went bad. Took off the resonator, made a diy cold air intake, replaced tensioner pulley, Also plati dipped the stock se wheels, emblems and grill. other than that its pretty much stockI love everything about it. Its such a capable suv!

I currently have a pretty big list of things I plan on doing to it in the near future. I won't be able to do it all at once, as I just can't afford it, and I do all my own work.

But here's a bit of what I plan on doing.

Manual locking hubs, haven't decided on warn or mile markers

Skid plates, probably from 4x4parts.. but possibley a diy job

AC 2" coil lift.

Struts and shocks, haven't decided on brand yet.

Wheele spacers, as I want to keep the 16" se wheels

Roof rack, not sure what brand. Haven't done much research yet.

Possibly an off-road bumper but not a big necessity.

I mainly want to start with the lift and work from there.

My overall goal for it is to have a safe reliable highway truck but also be able to hit the tougher parts of the trails. An exploration rig basically. I'd like to fit something close to 32 inch tires on it.

Posted ImagePosted Imagethese are both pretty recently after buying it.

Posted Image this is just after removing my fender flares and mud flaps.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image these are my most recent pictures

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

Howdy and welcome! You'll have that Pathy a long time if you choose to...

But here's a bit of what I plan on doing.
Manual locking hubs, haven't decided on warn or mile markers
Skid plates, probably from 4x4parts.. but possibley a diy job
AC 2" coil lift.
Struts and shocks, haven't decided on brand yet.
Wheele spacers, as I want to keep the 16" se wheels
Roof rack, not sure what brand. Haven't done much research yet.
Possibly an off-road bumper but not a big necessity.
I mainly want to start with the lift and work from there.
My overall goal for it is to have a safe reliable highway truck but also be able to hit the tougher parts of the trails. An exploration rig basically. I'd like to fit something close to 32 inch tires on it.

Here are my recommendations, in order...

Get the MileMarkers, they are cheaper and do just fine. $90 on sale at 4wheelparts. Should net you 1-2 mpg highway so do it sooner than later for the returns. Just don't leave the knob in auto!

If you can DIY the skids (time and skills) do it, otherwise hold off until you...

Buy some lift spacers from Fleurys. Why buy another set of coils if you just replaced them and like the ride? Just jack it up!

Only get a roof rack if you really need and use it all the time, otherwise it is just an air dam and light mount.

Worry about a bumper after you do the rest, and consider if you want a winch.

What I don't see on the list is better tires, a power inverter and possibly a second battery. The first will get you farther than any other mod, and the last two will make you more comfortable when you get there. ;)

Oh, 31" tires are a given and you should have the power to push 32" but wait until you lift to see what works. ;)

Please send all $ saved to Precise1isawesome@nissanpathfinders.net... :lol:

B

Thanks for the Input. I'm currently still using the stock coils. So I definitely want the actual coil lift, as mine are pretty close to being shot as is.. I do plan on going with bigger tire tho, I'm not sure what brand yet tho. I currently have 255/75/16 kumho road venture at's. I'd like a mt set for my next tires. Like u said tho, ill most likely start with the hubs as that seems like a good starting point..

Do you by anychance kno if the mile marker hubs come with all the needed parts (new studs). I kno the warn ones do.

I'm sorry, I think I blew it on two accounts...

I've replaced all the coil packs

You were talking about the ignition coils per cylinder, not the suspension coils. :doh:

Also, I believe that the 2001 Pathfinder with the VG35 has a different size/spline count because Mile Marker doesn't even list one as applicable. (P/N 436 is 1990-1996 but I have them on a 1999.0)

The MM did not come with studs IIRC, I only have nuts in the box with the drive flanges and there are locknuts holding them on so that is probably all they came with (and need)

This is the Warn info...

Pickup (incl. Frontier), Pathfinder, 6 cyl '90-01 I 28 29091

It is strange that they only list up to 2001, as if there was a change after that. :shrug:

Sorry about all that, I jumped the gun and will refund your $...

B

No worries. Clearly something I need to do my research on before purchasing. I'm fine if I have to buy the warn ones tho. Not that big a deal. Thanks for your help!

You are welcome for what I did get right. :D

I know it has been discussed in the R50 section and might even be in the FAQ sub section. I'm not that familiar with the VQ35 R50s, I only own a WD21 and a VG33 R50.

FYI, RockAuto lists the same part numbers for CV half shafts for 1998 (VG33), 2001 (first year of VQ35) and 2003, so that indicates that the same Warn hubs listed from 1990-2001 and the Mile Markers listed from 1990-1996 should both fit up to 2004 unless something stupid was changed like the flange bolt pattern (spline count and diameter will be the same).

B

Awesome, that's good info to have. The help is much appreciated! I'm a big fan of rock auto. I basically order all oem parts for my pathy and the wife's accord from there.

Most members use them a lot and they like us, so there is a discount code in a pinned thread in the Classifieds/Vendors section down on the main page, if you don't have one already. It is only 5% but it helps with tax or shipping... ;)

Ok, this bugging me so I had to try to figure it out. Here is the write up for the install that you want and the guy is putting the same Warn 29091 units that go from 1990-2001 on his 2001.5. By extrapolation, that means they fit up to 2004, and that the mile markers span the same range as well. Obviously double check that, but I would bet on it at this point. ;)

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/topic/25855-locking-hub-install-with-pictures/

Oh, you are welcome, sorry I screwed up at first. ;)

B