Suspension Parts For R50 Pathfinder?

Leo98

Hi guys!

So i need new tires for my '98 Pathfinder 2wd with 115K miles on it. Before i can do this is need to replace/fix the front suspension, I notice on the old tires that the front end is showing a toe in problem, the tire especially on the drivers side is worn on the inside really bad, so i know i will need an alignment before new tires also. My question is what components do you suggest i replace/fix.

I have looked under the rig and noticed the CV axles need new boots, can i clean them up and just replace the grease/boots? I did it once on an 80's Scirocco when you couldn't buy them already remanufactured.

I would like to replace any bushings or ball joints too.

The roads i drive on are ROUGH! and the suspension takes a beating everyday i drive it, (except on the toll road, it's smooth) I need parts that will stand up to rough roads, so any suggestions on these suspension parts will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

IF you pathy is 2wd like you say, you should'nt have CV's. IF you do have CV's, as long as the joint it still good, you can re-boot them. There is a type recomended here but I can't recall the details. Search the forum for "thermoplastic boots"

1: Struts. (KYB seems to be the favorite brand here, other members have also used monroe)

2: Strut mounts. (KYB NOT the favorite mfgr. last time I checked. OEM Nissan or I have had good luck out of my Moog strut mounts.)

3: Ball joints??? sorry not a lot of first hand knowledge from me about those, there are only lower ball joints, the strut is the "upper ball jount" sort of. (Moog is probably the mfgr. I will go with when I do mine down the road.

4: Wheel bearings re-greased and adjusted, Too much slop and they won't be able to align the front end, also it's bad...

5: Take a look at your controll arm bushings if you feel the front end is really worn. Again not something I have done myself.

6: Tie rod ends, more steering than suspension but they might need looked at.

That's all I can think of right now, it's late lol! :sleep: :sleep:

Thanks Clkindred and your Pathfinder looks like mine...same color too.

It is a 2wd and i guess they (CV's) are called "half axles?" I don't know, but the boots are shot and i haven't had any binding or noises coming from them YET! so i think i can get em cleaned up and rebooted. I have used Moog in the past on my '77 Ford 4x4 and i beat the crap out of that truck wheelin, so i know they are tough, I will probably go with those for replacements. The ball joints, i didn't know if i should replace them or not, they're not leaking any grease, so i may leave them alone. I will check into the control arm bushings and see how bad they are, because I read they are a pain to replace. I will need to repack the wheel bearings as well. I was trying to get a parts list together and thought this would be the best place to ask. Thanks again.

Okay, i looked it up in the service manual and they are called "Drive Shafts" and so should i just put new boots on them?

Edited by Leo98

Leo, why would you have front drive shafts, CVs or a differential if it is 2wd? 2wd just have a rear drive axle and that is solid.

As for the front end parts, what has been listed is most of it. I highly recommend jacking it up, supporting it well and wiggling things around to try to see what is loose. It could just be that your alignment is off and needs to be done when you replace the tires. You are right, I have spent a few months down in Baja (drove to Cabo once) and the roads can be pretty bad! It only takes a few large potholes to knock a front end out of alignment sometimes. Depends on how hard you hit them and just how big they are. ;)

B

Okay, i figured it out!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1996-1999-Nissan-Pathfinder-Power-Steering-Rack-and-Pinion-/261351362146?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make%3ANissan|Model%3APathfinder&hash=item3cd9c14e62&vxp=mtr

So those are the boots that are bad, can i replace them and be okay?

I knew 2wd rigs didn't have front axles, but i looked through the wheel well and saw the boots then immediately thought CV...LOL oops!

sorry about the confusion.

Back to the topic...I will jack that puppy up tomorrow and make a list of what looks bad and check back with you guys for advice.

I haven't driven to Cabo yet, only to Ensenada so far. They love the Pathfinders and QX4's down here because of the rough roads and dependability. Their is an AutoZone and Napa here in Rosarito so most my parts come from those stores but i just opened a P.O. box here and now I can get stuff off the world wide web.

Edited by Leo98

Ok, the steering rack and pinion, that makes sense now. No need to apologize, my mistake as well for not thinking that might be what you were talking about.

Yes, as long as there are no leaks, you should be able to just replace the boots, but that might be a dealership item. :shrug:

I covered about 3/4 of Baja in two different trips, mainly camping out and snorkling. About the only places I haven't been are inbetween Mexicali and San Felipe, and the section between Bahia de Los Muertos and San Juanico. A lot of formidible desert to cross down there...

I didn't see a lot of Pathfinders, but this was 20 years ago. They do appreciate Nissan reliability though, the D720 trucks were everywhere. (probably because they don't overheat easily) :D

B