Steering stabilizer affects wheel return, normal?

GoJian

Hi, new here :)

I installed the blistein steering stabilizer kit last night for my 95 pathfinder. Parts are from 4x4parts.com:

https://www.4x4parts.com/nissan/pathfinder-steering-enhancement-package-p-2582.html

The steering stabilizer was recommended to improve on and off-road handling. I only do some occational off-road (I don't yet have lifts on my truck; that maybe later) but from what I read everywhere else online, the stabilizer is supposed to be a good item to have, for protection of suspension and steering parts on rough roads, and fighting high winds on highways, etc.

Well, I completed the installation. Everything looks good. The only issue I have with my steering stabilizer is that it seems to affect my wheel return quite a bit during cornering -- so much so that almost always I have to force it back due to it being slow. It makes the driving quite a bit uncomfortable. Before the upgrade, the return was natural and very smooth.

I am wondering, is this normal? Is there anything else I should adjust here like caster, power steering torque, etc? I really don't like the feel of the slow returnability of the wheels after coming through a corner. Maybe this steering stabilizer is not a right fit for my vehicle. What do you think?

Make sure the stabilizer is sitting level, did you install it with the stabilizer fully extended and the wheels turned so when you installed it, it was located in the correct place?

Thanks for the quick reply :) Yes, I had the stabilizer horizontal and wheels turned fully to the right -- I tried to follow the instructions word by word... It was strange to me, that nobody else had complained about this, so I guess it could be me who made some incorrect installations somewhere.

Here I just took a picture of the installation. I had the stabilizer fully extended and compressed a tiny bit (3/4 inch or 2cm) before bolting it on the center link. I test-drived for about 20 min this morning -- thought the condition might improve over time, but no. My feeling is that this stabilizer is a bit too strong. I wonder how other people feel about theirs...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mmaztdgwmuyaiyp/2014-05-03_12.16.45.jpg

in that pic the wheels are straight? You have to turn the wheel fully than bolt the stabilizer to the centerlink, than turn fully the other way to make sure it doesn't limit your turning, which I'm sure you did. I had one years ago on my 87 hardbody, a rancho and never noticed it effecting the return to center.