Not sure where to start

Sneaks

Hello NPORA members, I have an interesting issue. I have an 87 Nissan 300zx with an 87 Pathfinder engine in it. I bought the car from someone who evidently thought this would be a good idea. It starts up and runs, but with some issues.

1. It runs fuel-rich

2. At start-up when cold, it idles extremely rough and sometimes dies, which I then have to start it back up just by turning the key

3. Once it hits optimal running temp, it idles at 900-1000 RPM, and is extremely smooth. But before that it runs rough enough to pose as an issue.

4. Check engine light is on, not sure if that's from their tampering with and attempt at installing their own security system into it, or if the engine just has issues.

I've read in the 300zx manual that we have that there is a Fast Idle Control Device (FICD) on the 300zx engine, but I'm unable to find one on/for the Pathfinder engine. Maybe it has a different name?

Sorry for the vague post, but I'm not really sure where to go with this car. Any help is GREATLY appreciated so I don't end up scrapping the car. Thanks!

Check out the stickied TBI parts locations thread in this section of the forum, it should show you where it is. Once you have the air cleaner off you will see it and the dash pot right up front. If you still can't find it let us know. I can take a picture of it this evening.

Are you sure just the block isn't from a Pathfinder? Same engine... beings as the check engine light is on, its most likely because its a California car and the EGT sensor isn't there. I can't believe anyone would put TBI in an MPFI car. Stupidity...

The problem can be anything if its really, best thing to do is run the ECU codes. Most likely though, the CHTS.