Recommend a transmission lube place in Minneapolis... Too cold for on street work!

marbiol

As the title says - it's pretty cold here and I don't have a garage at the moment and my drivetrain is whining like its low on fluid somewhere.

Can someone recommend a reputable transmission place or general garage that would do a decent job of checking and replacing any necessary transmission / diff fluids?

The problem could be anywhere including the transfer case, front and rear diffs so a full checkup would be good. If it helps the diagnosis, the whine is speed dependent and begins to be audible at over 20 mph. Engine rpm is apparently unconnected. Shifting in and out of 4wd has been a little touchy recently - ie not cleanly engaging but that might be unconnected.

• 3 weeks later...

As the title says - it's pretty cold here and I don't have a garage at the moment and my drivetrain is whining like its low on fluid somewhere.

Can someone recommend a reputable transmission place or general garage that would do a decent job of checking and replacing any necessary transmission / diff fluids?

The problem could be anywhere including the transfer case, front and rear diffs so a full checkup would be good. If it helps the diagnosis, the whine is speed dependent and begins to be audible at over 20 mph. Engine rpm is apparently unconnected. Shifting in and out of 4wd has been a little touchy recently - ie not cleanly engaging but that might be unconnected.

Tisdel's in So. Minneapolis does good work at decent prices. Ask for Tony, he knows these trucks well (mine included). 50th and Penn next to Broders. Tell him Tom Hudak sent you.

That said, being that it's an auto of unknown mileage be aware that older auto trannys (auto tragics), unless it's been changed regularly and the internals are in good condition, are notorious for being problematic when changing the fluid. Suddenly having totally new, clean, viscous fluid can cause unexpected problems. Just be aware that if bad things happen, it's not necessarily the shops fault. Tisdel's will tell you the same. That said, they will seek out your noise, flush the diffs, etc. for a fair price and are good about starting simple and working their way up vs. just doing a ton of work and charging for it.. They keep all the high end synthetics on hand but you'll save $$ if you bring in your own in.

I've got a '95 525i w/ an auto and all the BMW guys folks I know change their a/t fluid in waves rather than all at once.. Drain a small portion, maybe 1/4, and refill w/ fresh. Drive some, and repeat over the course of a few weeks. This eases the inner workings of the transmission into the newer fluid which has a different viscosity, different levels of sediments (metal shavings, etc.) vs. a huge, and potentially catastrophic flush and fill..

Edited by madhakish

The auto isn't much of a whiner. And if it were low on fluid it doesn't function properly. extra triple hard, or soft, shifts. shifting at random times for no apparent reason, or not engaging overdrive. those kinds of things would make me suspect the transmission fluid is the problem.

But the front and rear differentials can whine if they are lacking fluid. If you're having a hard time engaging 4wd your transfer case could be low.

madhakish - thanks for the recommendation

silverton - I think I have it narrowed down to a combination of the auto hubs and the transfer case. The transmission was well looked after and had regular changes through its life so I was never really that worried, and the two whines come when it's in 4wd (transfer case) or when I haven't reversed after shifting out of 4wd (hubs). The hubs were rebuilt and greased less than year ago so should be OK and they're a little annoying but I don't think they're problematic. The transfer case might be a little low but I think it'll be OK for the moment (I'll get it topped of as soon as I can find some spare time).