04 Fuel Gauge question... Intermittent readings

arista5

My pathfinder started doing this and now is becoming more frequent. Full tank registers full.... after about 3/4 tank then its a guessing game. I can run 200 miles and it still says 3/4 tank or it will say 1/3 tank. i would be 250m and it shows 1/2 tank. then all of a sudden the fuel light will come on and the needle drops. or it will be perfect through the entire tank. its annoying to have to watch the trip mileage just to be sure i know where i am at.

its utterly frustrating, and i am asking if anyone has any clues? i couldnt find a typical ground for the fuel sender so i am guessing it may be that?

any help is appreciated.

Thanks for the reply, Just bought two bottles on amazon. couldnt find any local (advance, autozone, pepboys, and dont have any chevron stations here)

hopefully it works, and thank you again

• 3 weeks later...

Did it end up working?

Noticed my fuel gauge today stayed at full for 60 miles then when I shut it off and started again it dropped to 3/4 full. Then I thought, wow!, 60 miles on a quarter tank doesn't seem right.

Any other ideas?

• 1 year later...

sorry I had not been back since this....

Yes it worked fine while using the additive....

No it is not fixed, 4 bottles later.. doesnt work except when the additive is in.

anyone have directions for changing it out? do i need to drop the tank?

Under the drivers rear seat bottom, pull up the sound deadening/insulation mat, you'll see an access panel, remove those few bolts and the panel, then you have dirct access to the fuel sender/pump assembly. Pretty self explanatory from there. Before disconnecting any fuel lines though, its a good idea to pull the fuel pump relay while the vehicle is running, let it run itself out of gas, pretty much eliminates any spills when disconnecting lines.