1500 RPM Idle, is this normal?

mikestewart395

You are Abby Normal.

It could be quite a few things, so... There are some sensors to check, connectors to wiggle and a engine control unit to check for stored problem codes.

How mechanically inclined are you?

The directions are in the Garage/How To section, pinned to the top...

B

Someone might have tuned the idle up high to hide a vacuum leak? I know this is the case with my hardbody with the z24 carborated... Not sure if you can or how you could tune a vg30?

Depends on the size of it. A small one will lean it out just enough to raise the idle. Larger ones and they go to sheit. A vacuum line undone makes the TBIs idle high and "miss" or "pop" out the exhaust.

I fixed it last night. I adjusted the timing with the distributor. On the way home I remembered the guy I bought it from saying he just put a new Distributor in and new plugs. As I thought, he didn't set the timing. Pathy is purring at 900 rpm's now. I drive one hour to work, one hour home everyday. I blew through a quarter tank a day, now its cut in half to an eighth. Awesomeness.

he just put a new Distributor in and new plugs. As I thought, he didn't set the timing.

Classic! Perfect example of PO thinking they know what they are doing. :rolleyes:

Glad you got it fixed and the best way possible, quick, cheap and easy... :D

B