Advice for a beginner

Smile

I am new here to NPORA. but (hopefully) not 100% daft

I recently picked up an old R50

It's a 97 xe I believe. Could be an se; there are no markings.

I am looking to do some work on it, I am hoping you fine individuals will be able to give me some advice.

I would post a couple pics, however at this time I don't know how to...

His name is Toki; thank you to all who get the reference; and he is as far as I am concerned stock.

It's a daily driver but I am a off-road enthusiast and do mild to mid range 4x4ing often enough.

I would like to put in a lift, likely the AC 2" coils, as well as replace the shocks and struts while I'm down there. He has 285,xxx Kms so it wouldn't be a horrible idea

Also I'd like to run some larger more aggressive A/T tires. I'm thinking 265/70R17 which means I'd have to purchase larger rims.

It's on 235/75R15 arctic claws aright now with the stock 15x6.5" alloys.

I am by no means cheap, just poor. So I'd like to do all if not most of the work myself at the most reasonable cost I can manage

Should I bite the bullet and open up my (already maxed) visa and purchase wheels and suspension all at once?

Or should I gradually collect? If so, should I go for the lift first or tires? Can anyone recommend good reasonably priced A/T tires or cheap steel rims? What size rims should I get for a 265/70 tire?

And finally what's recommended, purchasing a "lift kit" from a site such as 4x4parts or just getting coils and buying struts and springs elsewhere? Is more cost effective? Less convenient?

Thank you all for reading my opening speal, I look forward to gathering you knowledge.

Smile.

I wouldn't go in debt buying aftermarket parts first of all. But if you do, I would do it piecemeal and upgrade as you go, if the tires are fine I would get the lift first. Ordering the coils separate should save you some dosh, since the kits cost significantly more if I'm not mistaken.

• Like 1

Stick with 15" rims as PrestonBurns says, you want the max sidewall on a small rim for froading.

I still have my 31x10.5x15 Kelly Safari AT's with a 2" lift. They're pretty good for off road, I got mine for $100 each plus fitting. Once I get my SFD I'm going with at least 33's if not bigger.

I also agree with nismotr, tires & lift first, manual hubs are also a good idea if you want better mpg & less wear & tear on your "weak-compared-to-solid-axle" cv joints & drive shafts.

with 285k+ km I'd do all the maintenance first before tires or lift. 1st off timing belt and water pump! then do all the fluids (make sure to do the diffs and transfer case, the PO probably never did.) replace all the other belts. make sure your beast is running great and reliable before heading off road .

The R50 is surprisingly good off road even stock.

ditto there are a few R50 build threads on this site. check out Fleury's. Steves truck is a good goal to shoot for. as well he's sells some quality lift products as well as armour for your off road adventures.