New problems arise..

rbaum94

Hopefully their just standard maintenance, I've done a lot to my pathy over the past year and still never left me stranded..

216k miles 1994 Nissan Pathfinder XE-V6

Alright so today it was quite hot (more then typical florida weather) and I noticed my temp gauge about a quarter and a half away from being all the way up. Radiator reservoir is topped off, and my ac pully seems to be making a bad vibration like noise. Only happens when the ac blower is on (obviously..) Otherwise I don't notice any changes in the engine or mechanically.

Another problem that showed up is that my fuel gauge has been acting up pretty bad, had over a half a tank and watch it go literally a quarter BELOW E and then when coming to a stop the gas went back up mostly.. No idea whats going on there.

Lastly, I hear this high pitched squealing when the truck shifts into gear (as the rev goes to shift into the next gear, I hear a squeal until it gets in gear)

No CEL or SES lights, and I seem to be running just fine, I just hope these are some easy fixes..

Any help guys?

I never really had these issues but ill try my best, with the ac, it seems weird that it only does it when it's on, you might have something wrong with the unit itself? Something loose inside, never had that issue myself

The fuel gauge might be an issue with the sensor, I don't quite know where or how but it seems like its just junked up.

I assume you have an auto, it sounds like the clutch plates (correct me if I'm wrong I don't know the correct term) but it might be rubbing and or not enough ATF, maybe change it? Had a conditioning agent?

Your over heating issue, could just be an air bubble, if it becomes more of an issue I'm sure you know throw your heat on and rev the engine so cycle everything threw, when's the last time you did a coolent flush? Oil change too?

That's all I can really think of, hopefully nothing too major, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, I personally never had these issues in my 95

Edited by cvdloc

I never really had these issues but ill try my best, with the ac, it seems weird that it only does it when it's on, you might have something wrong with the unit itself? Something loose inside, never had that issue myself

The fuel gauge might be an issue with the sensor, I don't quite know where or how but it seems like its just junked up.

I assume you have an auto, it sounds like the clutch plates (correct me if I'm wrong I don't know the correct term) but it might be rubbing and or not enough ATF, maybe change it? Had a conditioning agent?

Your over heating issue, could just be an air bubble, if it becomes more of an issue I'm sure you know throw your heat on and rev the engine so cycle everything threw, when's the last time you did a coolent flush? Oil change too?

That's all I can really think of, hopefully nothing too major, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, I personally never had these issues in my 95

Not so worried about the overheating, just wondering if that was normal on a real hot day, It doesn't do it any other time but I'm more then sure I could use a radiator flush. Had a oil change about a month ago.

Yeah its an automatic, No idea what ATF is or a condition agent.

Maybe its time to consult with the manual on some of this stuff..

hmm

ATF= Automatic Transmission fluid.

Do you have an aftermarket transmission cooler? Is the radiator the factory unit?

I had issues with heat until I literally destroyed the factory rad when I tried to climb a mountain (it was 110 F.)

Replaced rad with an aftermarket piece, added a bigger aftermarket transmission cooler to replace the first one I added, and I was good to go.

Have you ever changed the transmission fluid? Do not add any additives except Lubegard Red, which is used by many transmission shops and has been mentioned specifically in some manufacturers' technical service bulletins. It will lower operating temperatures and help keep things operating normally.

Bypassing the stock transmission cooler and running an auxiliary cooler with an inline filter is a very good idea too.

Chevron Techron fuel system cleaner may help your fuel gauge issue if sulfur build up on the sender is the problem.

I agree, transmission cooler is a very good idea for extending the life of your auto (if you dont have one) I just swapped mine for a manual instead of add the cooler, which is a hung step but my auto was toast.

And yes it is normal on a hot day for your cars heat to rise, but should drop after a bit of time, happened to me on the first day is was hot up here this year in bc but check you coolent fluid, if its still bright, looks clean, I wouldn't worry about changing the fluid, but if you owned the truck for a couple years and never done it? It's your call

Have you ever changed the transmission fluid? Do not add any additives except Lubegard Red, which is used by many transmission shops and has been mentioned specifically in some manufacturers' technical service bulletins. It will lower operating temperatures and help keep things operating normally.

Bypassing the stock transmission cooler and running an auxiliary cooler with an inline filter is a very good idea too.

Chevron Techron fuel system cleaner may help your fuel gauge issue if sulfur build up on the sender is the problem.

I only ever go to chevron lol, I changed the ATF a Long time ago and my truck has never shown any other problems. I've never put any additives in my trans..