Propeller Shaft/LSD Groaning Noise?

About a couple weeks ago I was driving around when I noticed a horrendous groaning noise while turning, it seems to be coming from the rear end of the truck. After a little bit of reading I thought it might have been the LSD that needed some gear oil- I drained it and put in some new 80-90w GL-5 LSD oil and that seemed to nearly get rid of the noise. Well, now the noise has returned- not as bad as before but I really would like to get it taken care of.

After the noise returned I started thinking it was never the differential in the first place and perhaps it was the propeller shaft so yesterday I crawled under the truck to find some grease points thinking I had a bearing or something that was dry but I couldn't find anything along the rear end of the propeller shaft to grease! My bad for not consulting my FSM first!

Any guesses? I'm still very new to this so I appreciate any amount of help.

I think on 4WD Pathfinders only the front driveshaft has a grease fitting. Otherwise, the rear driveshaft has a grease fitting towards the front end of the vehicle.

What specific gear oil did you use? Is your rear diff an LSD?

Edited by Towncivilian

Master Pro Chemicals 80w-90 gear oil. It says on the container that it can be used for limited slip differentials where API GL-5 gear oil is specified.

I was reading on another thread about a similar issue and adding some LSD additive solved the issue. Do you think that may help?

I can only think of a few things that would make your rear end groan other than diet, so we'll try to keep it clean. ;)

Bushings: The 4 link/pan hard bushings, if badly worn, might allow metal on metal contact when under load (turning especially) that might cause a noise/vibration.

Axle shaft bearings: I've never dealt with them, so I can't help other than say to download the FSM pinned in the garage section and take a look.

The U joints in the drive shaft: I'm not sure that turning should have a significant effect on them/their load. Jack the rear up and properly support it, start the truck and put it in gear at idle first gear, then observe. I found my drive shaft was shifting the rear axle and pulling the tranny back and forth. When I replaced the U joints, 1 was dry and the other was brinelled badly. Couldn't tell with the wheels on the ground...

I have no experience with the pumpkin so I am no help there. :shrug:

B

Some after thought...

When you jack up the rear end, rotate the U joint to feel for binding, reverse direction several times to feel for slop and then hear/feel by the diff for any binding/grinding/vibration. Also turn/move the wheels to see if you can pick up any play/vibration in the axle bearings. It is all subjective, but you should feel little to none as it will all be far worse under load.

Ive noticed mine has started groaning and shuddering when turning and going forward so I guess my gears need to be rebuilt...... sigh... hoping it doesn't seize up on me one day!