The dreaded Clunk!

Aight,

So, I've been reading up on the dreaded clunk experienced by several pathy owners on this forum and tomorrow (becasue tonight is just too late, dark and wet outside) I will check the items typed in way below. But before I start mentioning those, here are my "symptoms" and what has been replaced within the last year.

Symptoms

Loud clunk on braking or accelerating (felt on left foot, false pedal)

Not-so-loud clunk on left/right turns (felt on right heel)

Not-so-lout clunk on sped bumps (felt faintly on right heel) :wtf:

I have been getting this clunk since about 1/2 months ago, when I updated/upgraded my suspension.

Items replaced/added, front suspension:

Ball joints (1 year ago, OEM)

Anti-swaybar bushings (1 year ago, OEM)

Anti-swaybar links (1 year ago, OEM)

Struts, bearings, springs (1/2 month ago - KYB, OEM, OME)

Added missing link (1/2 month ago)

Added steel bash plate (1/2 month ago - Fleurys')

Added 1" spacers (1/2 month ago - Nx4)

Added Manual Hubs (4 days ago)

Items replaced/added, rear suspension:

Upper control arms (2 months ago, OEM)

Lower control arms (2 months ago, OEM)

Bumpstops (2 months ago, OEM)

Rear panhard bar bushings (2 months ago, OEM)

Rear shocks and springs (1/2 month ago Old Man Emu)

1" spring base spacer (1/2 month ago - Fleurys')

What I need to check:

Re-torque:

Bash Plate

Missing link

Check:

Balljoints

Halftshaft CV's - I know the passenger boot had pulled off slightly (see "Help, axleshaft binding") but the original one is in there right now and there has not been any noise or vibration coming from that shaft.

Anti-swaybar links (maybe a nut is loose - was not tightened properly after the lift?)

Anti-swaybar bushings (Maybe the extra stress has loosened one of the nuts on the retainers?)

Steering rack bushings (never changed, could be the culprit)

If I am missing anything, please let me know. :scratchhead:

I have a small "clunk" when turning & I've replaced a lot of the same things you have so here's my thinking........ I've never thought about the steering rack itself. Sure we've all done the rubber mounts but as you mentioned last of all it could be the bushings or the rack itself that's the culprit. When we lift our vehicles we all think about the CV joint angles but the same thing is happening to the steering rack joints, so I'm thinking at least in my case maybe it's the rack itself.

Just my 10 cents worth :shrug:

Edited by theexbrit

Funny you should mention angles. Last time my ride was on the rack :sly: I checked out the CV angles and the steering rack angles; the steering rack angles were not nearly as pronounced. The steering rack sits a bit lower than the inboard CV and halfshaft so I'm not convinced that is the problem. Additionally, I checked them for play and found no play at all.

Now, please bear with me as my puny Mexican brain :lol: is burning itself up while processing the fllowing:

When I brake or accelerate, the forces would rotate whatever is making the noise by putting pressure at a vertical and some horizonal angles, I was thinking steering rack bushings for this reason...as I brake, the bushings give and the rack would impact the SFD wall.

Now, add to that the fact that I can feel it strongest right under my left foot, (I have yet to check positioning, in relation to my left foot, etc) indicates to me that it would be either the driver's side rack bushing, driver's side missing link mounting point, driver's side anti-swaybar link or driver's side anti-swaybar bushing being loose or broken.

I will be checking those out today and see if I can find the culprit. If I don't see anything on the driver's side, I will then allow my investigation to migrate to the passenger side.

Last time I felt a clunck like this, it was my tie-rods.... I could not believe it at first when someone here suggested it because I had check them and could not feel any clunk or loose or anything... After changing both inner tie-rods, the clunk was gone... I will try to find the post here somehwere...

• Like 1

Put the Pathy on a hoist today and found a couple of loose bolts. nothing dangerous, just a tiny bit loose.

Driver's side of my missing link, passenger LCA, three bolts.

Now no issues. I am happy. :lmao:

• Like 2