High beam problem on one side

chapter

I have an intermittant problem about high beam on the driver side. I'm pretty sure is causing by the DRL module because the high beam start to work when I tap on this module... I tried to find a used DRL but without succes... So is anybody have already tried to fix his DRL (cold solder inside)???? This module is only install on canadian truck....

Is this the problem with the blinker switch/headlight thingy? My car had headlight problems (put the brights on and sometimes they'd work, sometimes one would work, etc.) and I just replaced the whole blinker switch unit thingy. It cost about $90 and was very easy to put in. Don't know if this is it but I believe there is also a link somewhere and you can clean and bend the little contact prong things inside the thing and that may fix it as well (also a lot chaper). Anyway, good luck!

The problem is really in the DRL module because I just have to tap a little bit on the module to solve the problem... But when it's cold, like this time of the year, the problem is harder to solve... So, I want to find a used DRL or fix it but I want to know if somebody has already did that and how???

Sounds like a combo switch prob that's being exacerbated by your DRL module. The DRL's use a lower output of your lowbeams, right ? They shouldn't have any effect on your highbeams by all rights, but I'm sure it's all tied together in there somewhere. Might need the DRL module to complete the circuit for all I know. Loose wire/plug/faulty module could be the monkey wrench... still it wouldn't hurt to clean the contacts, etc. in the combo switch. How much for a new module? Used one you never know what you're getting... -thnkboutit-

Sounds like a combo switch prob that's being exacerbated by your DRL module. The DRL's use a lower output of your lowbeams, right ? They shouldn't have any effect on your highbeams by all rights, but I'm sure it's all tied together in there somewhere. Might need the DRL module to complete the circuit for all I know. Loose wire/plug/faulty module could be the monkey wrench... still it wouldn't hurt to clean the contacts, etc. in the combo switch. How much for a new module? Used one you never know what you're getting... -thnkboutit-

Just a note, the DRLs are a lower power off of the High beam, not the low beams on the Pathys. (Makes for interesting effects when you wire pencil beams to only come on when you flick your headlight switch to high beams! :o )

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Chapter,

I had aproblem with my DRL. Mine was that one of my driving lights would only work interminently. I never noticed if it affected my high beams though.

If it is the same problem, I did take it apart and fix it. It was only a cold solder on one of the relays inside.

The unit was a B!+ch to open P... and I managed to break one of the clips that hold the case together :furious: . I used silicone and electrical tape to put it back together. I figured the extra time it would work for would buy me time to find a used one. Guess what, it's been a year and it's still working.:aok:

Denis