rotating a the Rack n pinon for SFD

DsR50

It looks like you need an extra U-joint in there. I just replaced my P/S rack last month. IIRC .. you should be able to loosen the four bolts that secure the rack to the sub frame and rotate the whole assembly to reduce that angle. Take my advice with a grain of salt as I have not attempted this feat.

I rotated my r&p when I did mine. Just unbolt the brackets and bend the bracket on the drivers side. I dont remember how much I did mine but just do that side. I used washers to fill up the space and it works just fine. Here are some pics

016_zps1f72dafb.jpg

015_zps46e5eb09.jpg

I rotated my r&p when I did mine. Just unbolt the brackets and bend the bracket on the drivers side. I dont remember how much I did mine but just do that side. I used washers to fill up the space and it works just fine. Here are some pics

016_zps1f72dafb.jpg

015_zps46e5eb09.jpg

Alright ill try that tomorrow, thanks Ghees I wish my rack was that clean lol

Edited by DsR50

I Found this write up in the SFD write up, ask shift220 if he still has the picture that was on this post.....

Alright so I thought I would need a small spacer and a longer bolt but it turns out to get it tight enough you need bolt it down like stock.

First I loosened and removed the steering linkage off the steering rack. This had to be shortened after rotating the rack anyway. I then took off the driver side bracket and loosened the passenger one to rotate the rack. I just wiggled it upwards how far it would go without really pushing it. Checked the linkage and it was nearly straight. Perfect.

Then I did the wire trick and figured out that each ear on the bracket just needed to be angled more. You can see in the picture about how much. I just cranked the bracket in the vise and took a few good wacks at it. The white is the modified bracket.

bent_steering.jpg

It needed to be bent roughly 10 degrees so the picture can be printed out and will help if you need it (check it on the vehicle too). What I did was hold it tight on the top bolt and make sure the square part hugged the bushing well. You'll notice that the bottom part is about 20mm above the stock mounting hole. This is where I figured I needed a spacer and a longer bolt but it turns out cranking down the stock one worked perfect and held it tight.

Of course I forgot to take pictures of it but if I did now you wouldn't noticed much of a change except the rack pointing up more.

Edited by muddfildvaynes

I rotated my rack this week.

I just loosened the bolts on the rack brackets and the linkage, rotated the rack, then placed some dense rubber washers at the top bend of the bracket on the driver's side. I then just cranked the bolts down. On the driver's side I did use 01Silva's washer technique. It held REALLY well and turns like a dream again.