Spark Plug Socket for VQ35DE

vanuatoo

Hello,

I've 2003 Pathfinder SE 4x4 with 75,000 miles.

I'm thinking about changing spark plugs.

I've searched the forum but could not find D.I.Y thread for VQ35DE.

I've factory manual and it should not be hard, just one question: Which spark plug socket to use?

I've 1/2 inch drive socket set and ratchet but as I understand it's a special socket.

Manual says 16mm one. Is this one good?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A32UHY4/ref=as_li_tf_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=usa-product-y9374-20&link_code=as3&camp=211189&creative=373489&creativeASIN=B00A32UHY4

Edited by vanuatoo

there are no special sockets needed only tool sneeded are a 3/8 ratchet various extensions 10mm socket 5/8 socket for the spark plug pliers to take off the hose clamps and a flathead screwdriver to take off the idle air valve. one thing hat the nico club write up didnt mention that the hose that goes to the idle valve has coolant going to it so make sure u have a rag under it when u remove it.

It's more difficult than it would seem just because of all the things you have to get out of the way to get to the coil packs, but it's definitely garage DIY do-able. On cylinder 1 I broke the bolt head off that holds the coil pack due to cross threading since it sits at a weird angle and I couldn't quite get in there to hand thread it very well. Had to use a bolt puller to get it back out.

If you use multiple extensions to get down in to the plug, I would suggest using it in the following order: Ratchet, short extension, long extension, socket. That way if the extensions come apart leaving one in the plug well the longer one will allow it to stick out and be accessible. The short one would be down in the well if it was attached to the socket and would be difficult to get at.