Roof Rack Insert?

Karmann

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum, and just bought a 2002 SE Pathy 4x4 with the factory "thick" roof rack, much like Xterras'. I'll post up a build sooner or later, I'm planning on making this an Expedition Pathfinder- going camping/sleeping in the pathy for days/weeks at a time, and exploring the country all the while.

Anyway, I was wondering if any of you know of an insert to the factory rack, like the one pictured (sorry for the size), except in a metal mesh of sorts.

4833e178.jpg

I'd like to have one 4 gallon rotopax gas "can" and one 4 gallon water "can", topped off with two maxtrax on top.

Can anyone help me with this?

Thanks!

Edited by Karmann

Welcome!

I havent seen any aftermarket "inserts" like your asking about. You'd probably have to make one or modify one.

I had given a Yakima MegaWarrior roof basket a try for a very short time, then sold it. One of those might be suitable for the flat style gas/water containers. Unlikely suitable for "jerry can" style containers.

I ended up going with a roofbox. They are more aerodynamic (I know it sounds silly, but I swear I could feal the drag with the roof basket). Plus most roofboxes can lock. The one I have is a Thule, and it's pretty good sized, yet lite enough when empty for me to install/un-install without any help.

As far as sleeping in your Pathfinder, you might want to give it a try just to see how you fit. I have to sleep at angle to fit, which means unloading gear etc. I suppose if I were to camp in it for extended periods I would just remove one of the rear seat bottoms (the part that flips up), then I could lie down without unloading gear.

I just recently found out that my front seats can flip flat (I think someone on here had pointed it out), but I don't know that I could sleep in them. Its worth a try though, as that would likely give you the best use of space.

Tips/suggestions: Perhaps give some thought to a rear tire carrier. You can set them up to carry fuel/water cans, and that would be easier for you to access. Check out the slide out/roll up awnings (tarp) that can bolt to a roof rack. Having a quick pullout awning would be great to have. Some of them have all kinds of extras like mosquito netting, privacy walls etc.

He's looking for something that forms a little more of a "floor" instead of using the actual roof of the truck as the contact point. If you are handy with a welder (or have a friend who is) something of the pictured design honestly don't look like too challenging of a build. You could even add mounts then for exactly where you want cans/tools located :aok:

Welcome!

I havent seen any aftermarket "inserts" like your asking about. You'd probably have to make one or modify one.

I had given a Yakima MegaWarrior roof basket a try for a very short time, then sold it. One of those might be suitable for the flat style gas/water containers. Unlikely suitable for "jerry can" style containers.

I ended up going with a roofbox. They are more aerodynamic (I know it sounds silly, but I swear I could feal the drag with the roof basket). Plus most roofboxes can lock. The one I have is a Thule, and it's pretty good sized, yet lite enough when empty for me to install/un-install without any help.

As far as sleeping in your Pathfinder, you might want to give it a try just to see how you fit. I have to sleep at angle to fit, which means unloading gear etc. I suppose if I were to camp in it for extended periods I would just remove one of the rear seat bottoms (the part that flips up), then I could lie down without unloading gear.

I just recently found out that my front seats can flip flat (I think someone on here had pointed it out), but I don't know that I could sleep in them. Its worth a try though, as that would likely give you the best use of space.

Tips/suggestions: Perhaps give some thought to a rear tire carrier. You can set them up to carry fuel/water cans, and that would be easier for you to access. Check out the slide out/roll up awnings (tarp) that can bolt to a roof rack. Having a quick pullout awning would be great to have. Some of them have all kinds of extras like mosquito netting, privacy walls etc.

I know I can sleep in the Pathfinder, that's one of the reasons I bought it- I'll just take the seatbottoms out and fashion a sleeping platform out of plywood to run on top of the seatback and past so I can sleep flatly. I'll post pics of this too when finished. To keep everything "private" I'll get the rear windows in 5% tint most likely (shout out to Tint Pros in Huntington Beach!) and get some window vents to keep the ventilation tolerable. It'll be a long project, but definitely worthwhile.

Anyway, here are the gas cans I'm talking about, on pretty much the type of rack I'm looking for (though I'd like it closer to the roof itself). As you can see they're quite flat, and a set of Maxtrax should hopefully fit right over them.

56e52538.jpg

Edited by Karmann

Yeah those flat containers are nifty. They would surely do allrite in an off the shelf roof basket, as well as a home made/modified one you had initially asked about.

You might give some thought to making a cabinet to sleep on. Would give you extra storage for stuff you won't use daily, or you could have a long drawer etc.