Backup Switch Help...With Photos.

keithb7

Last Sunday I attempted to replace the back up light switch on my 1993. There was no way I could get in there. Someone (88 I think) suggested that I remove the crossmember and drop the tranny slightly to get in there with a wrench or socket. Here is a photo of where the switch is located. It's the one with the cream colored plastic showing, I yanked the wires off it already. It's located just to the upper right from the centre of the photo.

switch.JPG

It's really tight in there. Too tight for any tool I can think of using. Here now is another image of the transmission support (crossmember). Is this what I need to loosen or remove to drop the tranny? Do I just loosen it and the tranny will drop slightly.

cross%20member.JPG

I see that the the torsion bars are in the way and I only have about 2" of space to drop the crossmember. In the centre off the crossmember, there is a rubber transmission mount, maybe if I remove this I can drop the tranny slightly more? Is the transmission not firmly mounted to the engine? I was thinking if I loosen the crossmember, the engine is still going to firmly hold the transmission in place, in line with the engine. Comments appreciated. I ordered a manual, should be here next week. In the mean time I was hoping to get this done today.

Keith

Hey Keith. Have you tried moving the shielded wire harness and angle in an open ended wrench ? You may be able to get 1/16 turn, and keep flipping the wrench. I just did my clutch, and I seem to remember disconnecting those wires from above through the shifter hole; it is reasonably large, but getting the boot off was a PITA !! I ended up cutting the carpet hole larger by slitting the corners. Have you considered that approach ? A careful eyeballing would tell you if it may work....

In case neither of those two are possible, yes, that is the crossmember that needs to be dropped. (obviously) Support it with a jack, and undo the bolts, then lower the tranny rear until it barely touched the T-bars. If that's not enough, then the T-bars need to be dropped, although you may be able to just drop their crossmember a bit also.

Yes, the tranny is firmy mounted to the engine, but the 2 engine mounts are off of the wheel wells so the motor can pivot the way it is needed. Just BE CAREFUL not to allow the components on the top rear of the motor to contact the firewall. It shouldn't be a problem, but it is close. I almost blew it myself. You shouldn't have to unbolt the tranny mount, just drop the crossmember a bit. And yes, the manual (any manual) is VERY helpful. Good luck, and holler if you need more help/info.

Bernard