TJM Install Advice?

rosspbig

I ordered a TJM T-17 bull bar for my 97 pathy, and since my local 4x4 shop is wanting 350$ to install it i have decided to do it myself. any instructions or advice would be very helpful. as i understand it the hard part is taking the factory bumper off so any advice as to how to do this would be awesome!! :D

Ross,

Do yourself a favor and buy a service manual for your truck. You'll be able to do things you wouldn't even normally consider doing otherwise. I do almost everything to my truck, with the exception of the stuff that can kill me, I leave that to the "pros."

As for the front bumper, it's not difficult to remove, just a bit of a pain. There are lots of little bolts in hard to reach places. Just get a manual, and take your time. The TJM goes on a lot easier than the factory bumper comes off.

Also, if you're installing a winch, you should do so before you install the bumper, that way, you'll only have to mount it once. The hardest part about mounting/removing the bumper is the bulkiness of it. The TJM weighs a good deal more than the plastic factory one, so be ready for that. You might want to have someone there to help you support it while you line it up and bolt it on. (Whoa, I just ended a sentence with a prepositiion!)

This is not from my personal experiences, but from what I've read from other people. Hope this helps. Good luck with the install, and (me giving you the finger) for getting a TJM before me! :laugh: I kid, I kid! I wish I had the money to buy one...

You can either get the good one from the dealer, or the half-way decent one from any Auto Parts store.

It will be listed under Nissan Pickups 98-02, and Pathfinder 96+....the main title of the book is Nissan Pickups, it's made by Hayne's. That's the one I have, and it's done me well so far.