Front struts replaced - clunk when turning wheel when stopped

I got my front struts & strut mounts replaced with KYB GR-2 struts & Raybestos strut mount kits. Sometimes there is a clunk when I turn the steering wheel in either direction, generally when stopped. What could be the cause?

Also, the strut mount nuts (3 on each side) and center mount nuts were not replaced; I believed the Raybestos kit included these but they did not, and just realized the old ones were used today. The FSM says these are to be replaced if removed. Are these imperative to replace? Should I have them replaced? I did have the lower strut mounting nuts replaced with new OEM ones. If I'm following the FSM correctly, it looks like the strut will need to be removed to replace the center strut mount nut (I believe the FSM calls this the "piston rod lock nut", although it is unlabeled in the exploded view). See SU-9 of the FSM for the exploded parts view.

I also had an alignment done and the specs are within range, but not at nominal. My steering wheel is off center to the left by a few degrees. I will have the shop realign to nominal specifications in the FSM. If this does not correct the issue, what could be a possible cause? Is the rear alignment adjustable at all? I did not see alignment specifications for the rear suspension in the FSM. Here is a scan of the alignment spec sheet:

alignment.png

The ranges and nominal specifications can be found on page SU-14 and 15 of the FSM.

Thanks!

Sounds like it could be the strut bearings. Watch the struts with a buddy turning your steering wheel from full lock to lock. It would be noticeable if you can physically see your strut "hesitate" when it pops during the steering wheel travel.

Another thing to check would be if the rubber spring isolaters have been installed. The pop could be the steel spring twisting in between the top and bottom spring perches.

I'm talking about the rubber strips that physically fit in between the spring and the surface (cups) themselves on the strut. Also, make sure the spring is seated properly on the strut. The end of the coil on the bottom spring perch has an obvious indentation where it is supposed to seat.

I just thought of something, is the sound coming from just one side or both?

The clunk comes from both sides; the side I'm turning toward makes the clunk.

I got a re-alignment and the steering wheel is now centered and the alignment spec sheet is closer to nominal specifications now.

The shop checked out the front end and all the steering components were tight. One of the guys rode with me but I was unable to reproduce the clunk. The coil springs are properly seated and I believe the rubber strips are present.

• 5 weeks later...

Hey TOWNCIVILIAN I saw this post and was wondering if you are still getting the clunk? Or after you futher adjusted the alignment the clunk went away. DID you figure out what it was?