which speed sensor for a 95 VG30E 4WD Auto?

trexterra

I can find several different sites selling several different types of sensors and it seems like some of them are listed as universal between manual and auto, 4wd and 2wd, etc... I just want to make sure that i'm ordering the right thing instead of the cheapest thing.

I can find this for about 55 bucks

http://www.ebay.com/itm/94-95-Nissan-Pickup-Truck-D21-Hardbody-V6-3-0L-Vehicle-Speed-Sensor-VSS-/310364107309?fits=Year:1995|Make:Nissan|Model:Pickup&hash=item484324722d&item=310364107309&pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr#ht_1738wt_1392

or there are some that actually specify that it's 4wd auto for like 136 on rock auto.

Any help on this topic?

Thanks again for all the help i've been getting lately

oh, also I'm assuming HB and Pathy would be the same thing? that's why I didn't specify in the title but maybe i'm wrong. The only difference between part code is a Y instead of a P. And also has anyone replaced the pinion and ring lock for the pinion? I'm wondering if that's why this speed sensor has worn out so fast or not working at all

Edited by trexterra

And also has anyone replaced the pinion and ring lock for the pinion? I'm wondering if that's why this speed sensor has worn out so fast or not working at all

wha......?

Rack & pinion = steering

speed sensor = transmission

A speed sensor doesn't just "wear out". That's not a part that just up and gets broken. You should check the connections. See that it is properly installed and that the wires are properly connected and in good operating condition.

wha......?

Rack & pinion = steering

speed sensor = transmission

A speed sensor doesn't just "wear out". That's not a part that just up and gets broken. You should check the connections. See that it is properly installed and that the wires are properly connected and in good operating condition.

Pinions are used in many places, not just steering...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinion

Speed sensors can absolutely go bad.

Pinions are used in many places, not just steering...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinion

Speed sensors can absolutely go bad.

yes. I was about to re-type that. I was very confused because this guy obvious knows plenty of stuff about automobiles. I saw his signature and then looked at the profile and saw the "Standalone tool chest mechanic" badge.

As long as the transmission and driveshaft spins, that speed sensor is pretty happy I would suppose. I would say that you need the proper one for your transmission and rear end. A 4.3 rear end will read differently than a 4.6 and you need a sensor that compensates so.

but that is mainly just going to effect the speed it thinks i'm driving just like bigger tires right? Anyways, the speed sensor was replaced by a mechanic with the P/O about a year and a half ago. I still have the receipt for it but I tried switching speedo clusters and it didn't fix the jumpy speedo. Then the speedo up and died for about 10 seconds the other day and a CEL came on making me think that the speed sensor died again and that something is causing it to go bad.

here is a picture of the break down where it has the pinion in case anybody else thinks i'm crazy. 32703 is the pinion

nissan-hardbody-pickup-1995-1997-speedometer-pinion-327c001.png

Edited by trexterra

I would check the pinion out first before I just assumed replacing it. Pull the sensor off and see if there is any play in it I guess. I've never pulled the sensor off myself but it seems like a logical thing to check.

I've never done it either, but I can only assume that it is going to require spending money on more trans oil since I can't seem to work on this truck without spilling everything all over myself haha

• 4 weeks later...

so I finally pulled my sensor out today to check it. The sensor appears to be practically brand new still however the blue gear that it slides in to was not clipped on and the gears were a bit beat up at the tip. Also there was some rotational slop in it like maybe it wasn't the correct gear for it or the plastic had stretched out? I wish I would have thought to take a picture of it.

For now i'm ordering part #32743-74P20 which should be the correct pinion gear and 32703E which should be the ring clip. I'll report back when I get them in.