P/S Pump "done gone out" ..

Well, it seems that the year long PS leak from my TRE fiasco has finally caught up with me. I have been topping off the PS reservoir for the past year as the leak has persisted. Just over the past few days my steering has felt "heavy". It was fine as long as I had higher RPM's but, trying to turn into a parking space was brutal! Today the belt finally snapped after what seemed like only a few minutes of detecting the burning rubber smell. I crawled under Vajay when I got home to put my hand on the pump pulley. Low and behold, the pump has a nasty catch when I tried to spin it.

I have two questions for any one that has dabbled with both (or either or) the steering rack and the PS pump. How much of a hassle is the pump to change? I want to do this task at home but, I do not have a paved surface to jack the truck off of the ground, which leads me to my second question. Can the rack be changed with out having to jack the front end off of the ground? If I have to, I will give it to my friend that is a professional mechanic. He can do it in no time flat but, has to charge me shop time as he is not the owner of the garage.

The pump is easy to change mine went bad and I was able to use a spare off of my broke motor.. it really only took minutes to change. No jacking required. As far as the rack goes it will be harder on the ground I'd think you would want it in the air for access .

The pump was a biotch to get to! I ended up removing half of my plastic air intake plumbing and radiator so I could get to the dang thing. Low and behold, found tons of mud :headwall: but, I don't think that is what caused the pump failure. I swear though, half of the time spent on this little project was trying to figure out how I was going to get to the pump. Once I removed everything it was only a two to three hour job. It's nice to be able to maneuver parking lots with one finger again.

My PS pump's adjuster bolt was corroded and needed to be turned 5-10 million times to get the belt loose enough to come off. Of course, if your belt snapped, this is not an issue.

The belt is behind the serpentine one, so be prepared to slacken and remove that one to get the new PS one on.

The pump was a biotch to get to! I ended up removing half of my plastic air intake plumbing and radiator so I could get to the dang thing. Low and behold, found tons of mud :headwall: but, I don't think that is what caused the pump failure. I swear though, half of the time spent on this little project was trying to figure out how I was going to get to the pump. Once I removed everything it was only a two to three hour job. It's nice to be able to maneuver parking lots with one finger again.

OHHHHHH !!!!!!! I forgot you don't have a SFD lift.. It wasn't hard to get to at all on mine LOL :lol: :lol: :lol: