Exhuast questions

brix542

Hey. Ive got a few questions bout the exhuast. Ive read and read and already know 2 1/4 pipe is probably best and duals only after muffler and all that stuff that is basically been gone over. One thing i havnt read on this site or hardly anywhere about our lil 3.0s is tips. Ive basically decided that i wanna get a deep thoarty loud exhaust tone while cruising and some popping when i stomp the skinny pedal. Will any exhaust tips and/or mufflers help acheive this? I had a glass pack on the stock system with a dump right out of it on my old one and i loved the noise level and the popping but it wasnt exactly deep as i wouldve like. Also i wanna do duals after the rear axle comming out side exit. Is there any way short of having a exhuast shop bend me a pip to replace the pipe going over the rear axle or a way to get around the axle or will i be stuck with the stock pipe. Id really love to go 2 1/4 there aswell. Sorry about the long post and any typos. If this has been gone over and i just didnt search right go ahead and tell me and I'l go back to searching. Thank you for yalls advice in advance.

There was a thread a while back where people took audio samples of their exhaust, but I found the quality low and subsequently not very informative. There is not much point in having dual tips unless you are doing it for looks. I think it was Tungsten, but I recall a thread where someone pieced together an exhaust system out of pre-bent piping but a decent shop can make a 1 piece cat back set up for you pretty damn cheap and then you have less likelyhood of leaks down the road.

B

I did a custom exhaust on my 93. What i did was hack off right before the cat and got a high flow barely street legal cat. Then I just got some pre bent pieces from a local auto parts store and fabbed up the rest. Mine goes from the 2" "y" pipe striaght to an expander of 2 1/2" then the cat and then it exists right before the drivers side wheel on the side. I had to put a tip on it so that the etest place could hook up to it. If not for that you cant even see the exhaust leaving the truck. It took bout 2 hours a couple of wrenches and a welder and it works GREAT and sounds good to. If you want I can type up a step by step just let me know.

Naw no write up. I know how to put a exhaust system together. Was just wondering about how different style tips would change the sound. The more i think about it ima just do from the cat back with 2 1/4 and exit right before the rear tire. Only thing left to decide muffler type and tip style.

The bigger the tip, the more aggressive the sound will be. Be careful with them as they can significantly amplify any droning too. Another thing you can do is angle the exhaust down or get a turn-down tip. The waves will reflect against the ground and the sound will ricochet everywhere. I used to have a 3 inch tip on mine but decided to take it off as it was building up rust inside. Since I have a 2.50" pipe anyway, it sounds pretty good even without a tip.

Edited by Tungsten