Oil Leakage

02silverpathy

-study- My 98 is leaking oil at a slow rate, it appears (from underneath the truck) to be coming from the valvecover, however, upon inspection (from the top of the engine) there is no leak??!! Is this the cam seal faking me out?

Is this a D-I-Y repair or head to a garage?

What should be expected of a bill?

lastly, any aftermarket seals??

yes yes yes too many questions , but I LOVE my pathy and hate seeing her life blood seeping out!!

In order to get you an answer, I have to ask a few questions myself.

How many miles are on it?

Has the timing belt been replaced yet (if 100k+)?

How fast would you say it's leaking? 1qt per week? Month? 3 months?

Have you checked around the oil plug or filter for evidence of a leak?

How long has it been since you had the oil changed? Did you do it yourself or bring it someplace?

How long would you estimate it's been leaking?

Sorry for all the questions, but you were a little unclear on the details in your original post. Hopefully with the answers to these questions, we can help you.

Not too many questions at all!! I am sincerely glad that you responded.

It has 85K

Original Timing Belt

As far as leak speed...well I have put only about 1500 on it in the two months i have had her and it appears not to have moved on that sweet wire dipstick..does that help?

Plug in pan seems OK...leak is way high on block goes behind alternator then I can't see any further.

1500 on castrol syntec 10-30, d-i-y, oil is already about half life as far as color...i have mentioned in other posts she was an abused vehicle, so i may change her before snow hits.

Leaking for some time I would say but it has made it to the bottom of that plastic skid plate and i hate vehicles that leak onto the ground..i really want to remove all the oil from the engine; any safe way to do that? i know i get it steamed but i don't know the cost versus my labor which is free, and i may even enjoy it!!

both valve covers look as if tiny, tiny, i mean tiny amounts of oil are escaping but i can't picture that causing the oil slick....by the way, i have not counted out that trip to the park up my way, i just (bashfully) have no clue where it is, LOL!

:beer:

An abused vehicle you say?

Is there any indication that the valves are clicking?

Look from the top down the engine, you might be able to get a better look at it....

Or even put on a white rubber glove and run your finger slowly down the side of the block (WHILE COLD!!!) until you feel or see oil on the glove. That should give you an indication as to where it's leaking from.

Since it was an abused vehicle, it may very well be leaking from the valve cover gaskets. I'd be hard pressed to believe that it would be the headgasket because the oil would be more milky, as you would have coolant contamination, and your engine would run like crap. Also, could be the cam seals. 85k is early for the timing belt, but as you say, it was abused, so it may have some excessive premature wear on it. Just some things to look at.

I hope you get this resolved quickly so you don't get those nasty oil spots on the ground!

Another idea.

They make this UV die that you can put in your fluids to check for leaks. If you can find some that is oil safe, put it in, and go another thousand to 1500 miles, and check it with a UV light....that will tell you EXACTLY where it's coming from. Might cost you a little bit of money, but it will track it down for ya.