So i just bit another Half Shaft boot.

So i recently replaced BOTH half shafts on my 96 pathy, now i know this is an issue with the lifted pathfinders, but i dont have a lift (Yet)

Could it just be cheap parts?

I had to buy one new shaft, and one rebuilt one. (the new shaft is the one wit the failing boot)

now i know some one, think its fluerys who has looked into that aftermarket boot, and i might end up doing that, but i already have plans for Warn hubs, so that SHOULD reduce the wear on these things right?

Any other ideas?

Thanks

-Kyle

Should have hung on to your factory original shafts, or that seems to be what I have gleaned from this forum. Aftermarket and reman'd aftermarket units don't seem to be nearly as good as OEM.

That said, it sounds like cheap parts.

As far as solving your problem, you will obviously need new boots. This is the thread with the thermoplastic boots. Link

Yeah, might be doing that here pretty soon.

How hard is it to rebuild shafts?

i did A LITTLE bit of youtubing but nothing really insightful.

BTW LOVE your rig, thats what i want mine to look like!! :aok: :aok:

Hehe thanks, I have not posted new pictures yet of my pathy with the lift, the pic below is without.

Re building CV's is really really messy, unless you have a parts washing tank. Other than that, the only thing that gave me trouble were the boot clamp strap things, they are hard to get on good and tight.

Hehe thanks, I have not posted new pictures yet of my pathy with the lift, the pic below is without.

Re building CV's is really really messy, unless you have a parts washing tank. Other than that, the only thing that gave me trouble were the boot clamp strap things, they are hard to get on good and tight.

Post them up mang, I NEED TO GET INSPIRED!!

but i found this video from this guy on Youtube, who is fricken AWESOME, i have learned so much from this guy!!

Is this just about how hard it is? and as far as the cleaning table this, cant i just use a Rubbermaid type thing? and he said mineral spirits is that about right?

Thanks

-Kyle

That is more or less what goes on, but he dose not show removal or installation of the axle so there is more work to take into account.

On our axles, the lower (outer) joint can stay on, the upper (inner) joint is the one that has to come off and it dose so in a different way. The inner joint has a flange for mounting to the differential output rather than the spline shaft shown in the vid. In the center of the flange is a large metal cover plate that has to first be removed, then removing a c-clip around the axle shaft will allow the bearing carriage thing to slide off. Some say a mallet is needed to free this part, but I just pulled with my hands and it slid off. Happy booting!

That is more or less what goes on, but he dose not show removal or installation of the axle so there is more work to take into account.

On our axles, the lower (outer) joint can stay on, the upper (inner) joint is the one that has to come off and it dose so in a different way. The inner joint has a flange for mounting to the differential output rather than the spline shaft shown in the vid. In the center of the flange is a large metal cover plate that has to first be removed, then removing a c-clip around the axle shaft will allow the bearing carriage thing to slide off. Some say a mallet is needed to free this part, but I just pulled with my hands and it slid off. Happy booting!

Oh okay, hmm this has got me sort of worried, hopefully i can figure it out, lol

Thanks for the advice

-Kyle