TIMING

bonehead

With the engine idling, loosen the distributor cap and gently nudge it counter clock wise to advance the timing and clock wise to retard it. Of course, this is under the assumption that the dizzy on the VG30E spins in the same direction as my VG33E. :scratchhead:

1. Start the engine and warm it up until the water temperature indicator points to the middle of the gauge.

2. Operate the engine at 2000 rpm for 2 minutes under no load.

3. Race the engine 2 or 3 times then idle .

4. Check the ignition timing. Timing should be 15°±2°BTDC. If not proceed to step 5.

5. Adjust the ignition timing by turning the distributor after loosening the securing bolt.

6. Turn the engine off.

Thats right from the manual. I recommend downloading one. Just use the search function to find it(link).

You don't, the ignition timing is NOT adjustable on MFI trucks. When you adjust the distributor you adjust the timing of the firing of the fuel injectors. It should always be as close to 15 BTDC as possible and not any place else.

Explanation here -> http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=31898&view=findpost&p=601636

Edited by Tungsten

Thats right from the manual. I recommend downloading one. Just use the search function to find it(link).

i follwed the steps from the manual, i guess my timing is fine. what bout the ignition coil?? mines get pretty hot to the touch should that be ok or is that bad??