flooding problems

therepairgod

i have a 90 pathy. its been having bad flooding issues lately. its intermittent but fairly regular, anytime the engine is still warm and i have to restart it, it will crank and by the 3rd crank will fire for a split second and its flooded. ive installed a fuel pump cuttoff switch temporarily but thats a bandaid. when it acts up i flip the switch and keep cranking. within 3 or 4 more revolutions it fires i flip the switch and she belches black smoke and fuel, runs on a few cyclinders until the flood is cleared (about a minute) and she runs like a top. without the switch move, it takes 30 to 45 seconds of continuous cranking before it fires. i dont know if its a leaky injector, bad wires, bad plug etc. im leaning on fuel delivery simply because it runs great otherwise. i have read about a water temp sensor issue that results in a cold reading to the computer therefore trying to start with a very rich mixture. i thought i would post here before throwing money that i dont have at her. any thoughts?

• 3 weeks later...

So, ive discovered that only the passenger side of the V6 is carbon fouling the spark plugs. i pulled them last week and they were pitch black, they were new one month ago. i cleaned them and within a week back to the same problem. i replaced them with a set of bosch 4 conductor platinum plugs and gained 2 MPG's but im just waiting for them to foul out again. what could be causing only half of the motor to get to rich of a fuel mixture?

That does sound very peculiar.

Maybe the spark plugs aren't gapped correctly?

When you say half you mean one bank, correct?

So it's not like cylinders 1,2,3

It's like cylinders..1,3,5?

It would seem like the cylinders being non-sequential would make a difference. I don't know the answer, just throwing out ideas.

Weird? Are you experiencing any HP loss (noticeable) on acceleration? My timing jumped a couple of months ago and I recall that my plugs on both banks looked extremely "carbed up". I can't recall, however, if one bank was worse than the other though. :(

Weird? Are you experiencing any HP loss (noticeable) on acceleration? My timing jumped a couple of months ago and I recall that my plugs on both banks looked extremely "carbed up". I can't recall, however, if one bank was worse than the other though. :(

it definately runs better with the new set of plugs but its still rich.

yep just one side or bank. i need to start looking into fuel delivery.

• 1 month later...

So, ive discovered that only the passenger side of the V6 is carbon fouling the spark plugs. i pulled them last week and they were pitch black, they were new one month ago. i cleaned them and within a week back to the same problem. i replaced them with a set of bosch 4 conductor platinum plugs and gained 2 MPG's but im just waiting for them to foul out again. what could be causing only half of the motor to get to rich of a fuel mixture?

well heres an update. after some thinking i realised something soo basic. i replaced the battery the day i got the pathy, with crappy plugs... the sensors were trying to tune the engine with half a bank of plugs fouled. after i replaced them i reset the computer once again, after a month of driving it runs better than ever, starts 1 crank even when its cold. booyah.