Waggy Axle

My local pick a part has a 84 grand wagoneer. Is this the axle I need for an SAS? It has some kind of vacuum valve on the chunk I assume is for engaging the front axles, can this be bypassed and just use locking hubs?

James

You need a driver side drop 44, 1980 so and before where passager side drops. (Same as chevy and IHC) If my memory serves correct there are two diffrent widths, a 60.5 inch and ethier a 61.5 or 65.5(wide track) If it has a valve its probly a Qudra-track model. As far as just swapping on manuel hubs, I have no idea.

The 78-9 will not work.. it has the crazy cast outer wedges that can't be taken off.

Your 100 percent right if hes running leafs in front. The 78-9 wont work because the radius arm mounts are cast in. Now a 77 or older model 44 will work since they have weld on mounts that can be cut off.

http://77cj.littlekeylime.com/Dana44_2.htm

A link too front ford 44 info. Also has jeep 80-91 44 front info. Maybe very help full too the OP.

And a link of 78 bronco 44 with leafs just for giggles. But it is on a heep

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=642752

Edited by nismothunder

Take care while looking at those Ford axles.. there were some HP units with a closed knuckle kingpin kinda deal too.. Just say no!

Some of the years came with drum brakes... they have weak shafts but the housing is exactly like the later disk units.. so that can be done. Just switch out the shafts and outer knuckles...

• 7 months later...

I found another one! This time it's 81 wagoneer. No vacuum disco and it looks like it had locking hubs but someone already robbed them. I think I will grab this one as soon as I get some time.

James

No plan right now just don't want to pass up an axle I might need down the road. Just $180 at pick a part. I can wrap it up in a tarp and leave it under my work bench for now.

So this should be a good axle for an SAS? Around the same width as a pathy rear? The wheel bolt pattern is the same too so I should be able to use all the same hubs and brakes. I found the locking hubs too. Someone took them off and left them under the hood in the battery compartment. Maybe they had trouble rolling it and figured they were hanging up. I went back and grabbed the tires that were on it, a set of yokohama geolanders A/Ts that look to have at least 80% tread left. Should make some good summer tires once I find another set of legos. I didn't have time to pull the axle today but I don't think people are lining up to grab it, I should have time.

When I'm ready to SAS I'll hit up one of our members that has a plasma table for some brackets, I hear he does excellent work! :D Or maybe I'll drive up there and just leave everything in your driveway. Lol!

James

When I'm ready to SAS I'll hit up one of our members that has a plasma table for some brackets, I hear he does excellent work! :D Or maybe I'll drive up there and just leave everything in your driveway. Lol!

James

I haven't worked with a Waggy axle in a while. Most of my stuff is based on a "cut down" HP44 out of a Ford. You will hear me say Ford-4 or Ford-2 on build threads here and there.

Not saying the Waggy axle is not a good score! However it tends to work best with the leaf spring setups like Calmini's. On a link setup the differential is offset a little too far toward the driver side. You end up loosing turning radius because the lower arm gets mounted closer to the tire causing less room for the tire to turn.

Folks use these axles with links all the time without a problem. The Ford setup just turns better and has a high pinon.