hood release wire broke/came loose

1994SEV6

So my Hood release doesn't work anymore. For the past few days I've had to pull of two or three times for it to work. Now it doesn't work at all. I'm pretty sure it just popped out of a fitting or came loose somehow. I don't think it rusted. At least I hope not.

So how do I pop my Hood without this? I'm clueless. I took off my drivers side blinker thing to try to reach up there, bit that was useless.

So my Hood release doesn't work anymore. For the past few days I've had to pull of two or three times for it to work. Now it doesn't work at all. I'm pretty sure it just popped out of a fitting or came loose somehow. I don't think it rusted. At least I hope not.

So how do I pop my Hood without this? I'm clueless. I took off my drivers side blinker thing to try to reach up there, bit that was useless.

First, check the cable in the cab. Is it loose/broke there? If so, just grab it with some vice grips and yank it that way. If its broke at the latch itself in the front, the best you can do is try to get something in there to unlatch it through the grille.

First, check the cable in the cab. Is it loose/broke there? If so, just grab it with some vice grips and yank it that way. If its broke at the latch itself in the front, the best you can do is try to get something in there to unlatch it through the grille.

Yeah. I'm pretty sure it came loose at the latch. Well, somewhere along the way. I unscrewed the bracket that the hood release was on and the cable had some slack. I pulled it out about 6 inches..so something definitely came unhook. Ugh. I guess I just need to invent some tool to go through the grille and up and pull down.

so...how do I open the hood? If I reach up, I just get tab that you lift to open the hood after it's already popped.

I tried to lift this tab when I had my grille off, it doesn't do anything by itself.

Is there like a hidden hook somewhere?

so...how do I open the hood? If I reach up, I just get tab that you lift to open the hood after it's already popped.

I tried to lift this tab when I had my grille off, it doesn't do anything by itself.

Is there like a hidden hook somewhere?

That tab is basically a safety feature, so you dont hit the hood release in the car and your hood flies up. Check this thread for a picture of the hood latch, the cable from your cab runs to this, and the initial hood release from in the car pops this open. I'll send a better pic later, its raining here right now.

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=17796&st=0&p=291060&hl=+hood%20+latch&fromsearch=1entry291060

• Like 1

With most Nissan hood latches you can stick a long screwdriver through the grille and pry the ear the cable end attaches to sideways to release the hood. I don't recall if this works on a Pathy and the weather is like the inside of a dishwasher or I'd go look at one of mine. Look through the grille with a flashlight, preferably when it's dark outside or in your garage so you can better see the latch and where the release is located.