Knock sensor code

02silverpathy

Hi all I hate to post another possible endless drama, but my pathy has sent for the 3rd time a knock sensor code...i have been using 89 oct., and replaced quite a bit of normal maint. parts in the 880 miles i have owned her:

Plugs (Bosch +2)

Wires (Bosch)

Cap and rotor

Both secondary O2 sensors

Air Filter (Fram..K&N knock off)

Oil (of course)

...and last but not least that stupid heat shield was removed from the exhaust system (thinking that was a contributing factor untill i looked up the location of the knock sensor!! stupid noob! -thnkboutit- )

the exhaust manny's are tight so i can't blame them either...i am exhausted with the idea that she may need new valve guides and a trip to the ripoffship :eek: . Has anyone had an issue related? please bring your maintenance logs and pass all your wisdom.............likewise it reported that it is haveing an issue with its evap controls and auxillary emission controls :eek: :eek:

:help: ,

Chris

Don't worry about the knock sensor error code if you are not getting pinging, it fires on your year pathy pretty much constantly but it will not trigger the check engine light like other codes. I get the P0325 error every time I check my codes on 87 octane and have never had pinging.

Just fix your other EVAP codes and your check engine light will stay off.

What codes are you getting? I just replaced my canister and vent control valve this weekend. The codes were P0440 EVAP Small Leak and P0446 Vent Control Valve. The vent control valve is a very common problem on your Pathfinder and unfortunately usually requires the valve and the canister to be replaced at the same time.

That figures, pretty common on our years. Before you decide to replace the canister try to see if you can remove the 2 bolts holding the vent control valve on. The problem is the bolts are attached to inserts in the plastic canister that usually just turn with the bolts so you're stuck. Maybe you'll get lucky. If you can remove the bolts and only change the valve it's much cheaper, but like I said most likely it will be the canister too. Also hit the small bolts holding the canister on with penetrating oil a couple of times before loosening, mine were really rusted on.

The cheapest prices I could find were at everythingnissan.com, the canister (149501S718) was $59.87 and the valve (1493554U04) was $24.19. Hopefully the parts are the same for your 98.

I wouldn't run high octane for the knock sensor error if it is P0325, that error code really has nothing to do with pinging so there is no reason to raise the octane.

If you really want to test your knock sensor you can follow the wire coming out from under the intake manifold to the sub-harness connector. Disconnect the sub-harness connector and measure resistance between pin #5 and engine ground, should be 500-620k ohms at 77degreesF.

I've tested mine and it is fine, never had any pinging and it will never trigger the check engine light so I've stopped worrying about that code.

O K,

I am going to just order both pieces for the truck in the evap set up, but i am still getting a knock sensor code that does show up on the scanner as a primary issue...I have a multi meter and can use it I just haven't a clue where the knock sensor harness is in that mess...unfort. Nissan makes ugly engine bays..................

if you cloud PLEASE help me find the harness I would more than greatly appreciate it!! I am also thinking that my connector may need some di-electric grease, since this problem was non existant untill i got all that dealer detalers goop off my engine.

As far as i can see and understand in the region for where that harness should be is only the injector harness...where can i go from there??

Thanks,

Chris

ps what does the "header bolt issue" sound like anyway...I do not think that my truck has any ping in it. :shrug: