What a crappy night!...

mattyrides07

...(WARNING- Some bitching is about to occur) Read at your own risk....

So, I needed to change my oil in the Pathy. I decided not to do it myself since it was darn near $10 a quart for full synthetic oil (up here in Alaska everything is 70-100% more expensive than in the lower 48). I decided to just pay the Jiffy Lube to do it (I had won a gift certificate to them this spring that I used and I remember it being around $60) . While there the guy asked if in addition to what they did last time if I wanted to do all the extra crap they always try and push on people. I politely said, "No, thanks. I work on my own cars, but I'm in a time crunch and this needs to get done today." As I started to walk away I remembered thinking a couple days ago I also need to change and flush my differential fluids (at 130K miles- NO maintenance besides regular oil changes have ever been done)... and remembering how expensive the oil was at the auto store- I asked this kid how much they wanted for that. He said, "$37 per diff to clean and put in new fluid. Plus, you'll get 10% off for being military." So, I agreed to have them change the diff fluids too. When I went in to go over everything I realized last time they did NOT use full synthetic oil because they were quoting me $59.99 for the oil change PLUS $35 for F.S.! Well, I was already there... what was I to do?

At check out they said my passenger headlight was out, and asked me if I wanted them to replace it. I chuckled and said they must be thinking of the wrong car because I just replaced them this summer (put the $80 SYLVANIA lights in) and I ALWAYS check my lights here at night (OCD) so I KNOW they were JUST working Sunday night. After I paid I went outside and sure enough my light was out! I "tapped" on the lens and it came back on. I drove around and finished my errands.

Tonight upon coming home I made it in about an hour before dark (5PM). I decided to clean the terminals. now keep in mind we're in the low 20s BEFORE wind-chill... I cleaned all the terminals and I saw my red cap off and down in the engine bay, and one of the bolts holding my battery against the tray was broke.... hummmm... So, frustrated now that 3 things are wrong- I tried to figure out something to fix the battery problem. By the time I got done and started messing with the lights the sunset was QUICKLY fading! I swapped bulbs to make sure it was the terminal and not the bulb... guess what- it WAS the bulb! So, as i'm putting the locker ring back on the driver's side I drop it and hear it "fall". I look for it in the snow and it didn't drop out so it's in there somewhere, right?! So I move my dirtbikes around so I can fit the car partially in the garage (as far as it'll go). I'm laying down there and I can't find a dang thing! I did find two cables/outlets going to the engine though (I'm going to look into these tomorrow), I can't "see" an engine block heater... anyway, so now I'm clipless for the one light, and a bulb down! I go to pull out the Pathy from the garage but I didn't put the garage door all the way up first, so as I backed out I bent my antenna!

ARGHHHHHHHH.... rant over! Tomorrow's my last day off and I get to spend it doing errands now ALL day!

-Rant over

Man, that sucks. Sounds like a PITA. Just take a break and find a good flashlight, I'm sure you'll find it :aok: Speaking of that, there's a 10mm deep socket rolling around in my engine bay somewhere still...

The bulbs that claim "brighter and whiter" by xx% have shorter lives generally. I changed from OEM bulbs to the cheapest Sylvania bulbs from Wal-Mart and they are still brighter than the 11 year old OEM bulbs. I sure hope they last a few years, at least. I'm just curious, are the $80 Sylvania bulbs that much brighter, etc than what you had before?

I changed from OEM bulbs to the cheapest Sylvania bulbs from Wal-Mart and they are still brighter than the 11 year old OEM bulbs. I sure hope they last a few years, at least. I'm just curious, are the $80 Sylvania bulbs that much brighter, etc than what you had before?

I should try that route next time (I went to the auto store and picked up the newest set of sylvania's because they were on sale for $68. It's dark here half the year so our headlights are ALWAYS on. My wife reminded me she replaced a set while I was deployed too... so it's about one set every year. To answer your question though, OH YEAH THEY'RE BRIGHTER. On this last set, I had a couple different occasions where people were flashing their brights at me trying to tell me I had my brights on- :rolleyes: I haven't put these new ones in yet. Still trying to hunt down the clip.

Interesting. I wonder if it's worth the trade off of bulbs dying more often. I'm happy with the cheapest Sylvanias, so I'll stick with those.

I'd keep a spare set of bulbs in the glove box if I were you, whether it be an identical pair of expensive headlights or just the cheapest Sylvanias.

Unless I'm blind, the retaining clip is not listed on this exploded parts view.