RPM jumps from 2300 to 2600 and down when cold

Guest hugo0612

Guest hugo0612

:confused: I have a 94 with auto tranny 4WD 110K, I think when tranny or engine is cold and running speed above 45 mph, the RPM goes up and down and tranny seems to work harder when this happens. At speed 55-60 miles the RPM will be 2300 and it jumps to 2600 for a few seconds and then comes down to 2300. is this a tranny problem? please help, thanks.

Sounds like your torque converter is locking up and unlocking. This could be a number of things. When you get of the gas the torque will unlock until you get back on the accelerator and drive steady for a little ways. If it does it when you are keeping a steady speed, it could be your lock up solnoid, tranny computer and I beleive low tranny fluid pressure will also do it.

• 9 years later...

I have a 87 with the 3.0l and my dose the same thing kinda. Starts around 35 to 45 mph when i let off the gas but when i give it gas it stops and runs fine. Only happens at those speeds so the trans was a rebuild and i have about 50,000 miles on it and do trans flush when needed so I don't know y they do that?